Author Topic: Bhante Sujato - Mind, fMRI and the Flayed Cow  (Read 4346 times)

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
Bhante Sujato - Mind, fMRI and the Flayed Cow
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
Very interesting talk by Bhante Sujato. I really liked the last part in which he explains the connection between the breath and the mind:

Mind, fMRI and the Flayed Cow

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Bhante Sujato - Mind, fMRI and the Flayed Cow
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 04:22:06 PM »
Renze,

Thanks for sharing - missed this when you posted it but it's good stuff:

The practice of meditation is not about reflecting on divinity or transcendence or anything like that ... the practice of meditation is about looking at what is happening here and now in this very body and in this very mind. Looking at things that are very very ordinary and this is a very, very subversive and disturbing way to approach religious life.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 04:54:08 PM »
It makes me wonder why does he scratch n move soo much... is he uncomfortable? forgot equanimity when talking?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
I noticed that too, perhaps he is animated by the Dhamma and a certain excitement to share? The other aspect I noticed in particular is that whilst talking and especially when asked a question he visibly pauses and "checks in within himself" to be sure he is answering from the truth as he understands it.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
Unfortunately, Buddhism has been explained incorrectly for so long, basically all but a tiny few comprehend the real explanation of the relationship between breath & mind.

The breath is called the 'kaya sankhara' (MN 44), which means body conditioner (rather than bodily formation). However, the word 'kaya' also means 'group' or 'collection' (such as in the word 'Nikaya') and thus also refers to the five aggregates (such as in the word 'sakkaya'). Therefore, the breath not only 'conditions' or 'fabricates' the physical body, it also 'conditions' or 'fabricates' the mind.

This explanation is found in at least two places:

• The 2nd link of Dependent Origination, where the stimulation of the breathing (kaya sankhara) by ignorance & asava, stimulates the arising/proliferation of consciousness.

The 3rd & 4th stages of Anapanasati. The 3rd stage, although called 'sabbakaya', means experiencing 'all bodies' (rather than 'whole body'), where it is experienced how the 'kaya' of the 'breath' conditions the other kaya (namely, the physical body & the mind). In the Anapanasati Sutta, it is said: "The breath is a kaya among other kaya". The 4th stage is called 'calming the kaya sankhara', where it is experienced how the right frame of mind calms the breath.

Therefore, there is a two-fold relationship between the breath & the mind:
  • The breath both causes the mind to arise & the quality of the breath influences the quality of the mind.

The quality of the mind influences the quality of the breath (which in turn influences the quality of the physical body).

:)

wieltrevi

• Write something about yourself here
    • Student
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 09:32:02 PM »
very nice!