Author Topic: Why we practice  (Read 1231 times)

dimeo

• “What we think, we become.“
    • Mahamudra / Dzogchen
Why we practice
« on: November 29, 2013, 01:17:28 AM »
When your life is routine and it seems like things are going well, many people think, "I don't need to practice meditation because I feel fine."  It might seem like only the weak or sick need that kind of thing.

But we know that in any given moment the unexpected can happen.  Everything can change in an instant.  So when it seems like everything in your life is "falling apart"... that is when you feel the need to take refuge.  In those difficult times, that is when you want something, anything that can help. 

But during a time of emotional turmoil, that is a difficult time to suddenly start learning how to meditate.  And it's rather likely to end up thinking that meditation doesn't work.  When feeling "down in the dumps", it's not likely that a beginner will suddenly feel more motivated to put forth the effort to study or practice.  To the contrary.

So this is why we practice!  Make the time for dharma practice and study when times are good!  Practice the Noble Eightfold Path when feeling good and happy. Develop skills when life is relaxed and easy.  Make it your routine and it will become a habitual state of mind and a way of life.  Then when real problems arise your skills will already be there for you when you need them.     

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
Re: Why we practice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
Dear dimeo,

That's a very good thought you have put up. I do believe being able to practice when times are good is a real challenge for a practitioner.

However, I have always felt a stronger urge to practice when things have been bad - health wise or career wise. It is so much easier to sit down to practice when I feel disillusioned with the ways of the world than when I am happy with them.

I have been particularly stricken with ill health for a long time. And I noticed that whenever my health would be good my stream of thoughts would drift towards worldly plans and ambitions, such as getting ahead in my career, getting into relationships, planning for the future, buying this and that, and so on. But whenever I returned to ill-health, I would suddenly get frightened and sit down to practice, realizing the futility of those worldly plans.

This made me think that being struck with ill-health might not be such a bad thing for it keeps me within striking distance of the realization of my inevitable death. And sometimes I even ask myself, what would I have really done if I had great health? And the honest answer I get is that I would have probably wasted away that time chasing this job or that girl or this achievement or that goal, forever fooling myself that I would eventually start my practice not realizing that "that eventuality" would always be a future date.

Much metta  :)
Shreyans
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 06:15:27 PM by Crystal Palace »
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha