Author Topic: Useless questions?  (Read 2251 times)

hottyicecat

• Emptiness is Form and Form is Emptiness
    • here?
Useless questions?
« on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »
Anyone knows why some questions are called to be useless? I got my own theory for that, but not sure if its the right one, if there is a right one at all.
For example, asking "How are u doing?"; "what are you doing?"; "how have u been?" some says its useless questions. I have meet, not many, but few people, who always told me that thous questions are useless and i should stop asking them, i never got an answer to it "why is it?".
So does anyone knows if there is a "one real answer" to this?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Useless questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:48:13 AM »
I think what people are getting at is that this is often just an empty pleasantry; the person asking how you are doesn't necessarily care how you are, and the person answering probably won't give an honest answer either - it's rare someone says "life is terrible, thanks for asking".

However, it's part of social etiquette to function in contemporary society. Depending on how busy I am my answer or response will be quite candid rather than guarded, I guess its up to you how far you want to take it.

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
Like DT says its prt of social etiquette and mores to engage in this small talk. Small talk is such a huge part of society, and I would suspect a very large portion of many social interactions are nothing more than small talk. After my first retreat I really noticed the uselessness of this small talk, but there's no sense in having aversion towards it. I just deal with it, engage in it, and swallow my pride when small talk rears it's ugly head.
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:08:46 AM »
The question, if well intentioned and asked mindfully, is not the issue. The issue is the habituated lies that the question being asked elicits: I'm fine thanks - the most common lie and the one that trains us to ignore inner feeling and even disrespect it.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

hottyicecat

• Emptiness is Form and Form is Emptiness
    • here?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
Thanks for the answers.
I got similar thoughts about this, but there are more too... but i guess it just depends on the other person and nothing to think about it much :)