Author Topic: The Irony of Mindfulness  (Read 2870 times)

Seph

• Jung-Joong-Dong of Jungshin Sooyang ("Silence in Stillness, Stillness in Motion")
The Irony of Mindfulness
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:14:21 AM »
Why is it, that when I'm at my worst; when I feel overwhelmed with worry, anxiety, or fear - those times that I think I need to 'practice' mindfulness most - when meditation might be best - are the same times that I am so distracted with worry and anxiety that I don't meditate; that I don't practice mindfulness?

DK

• Practicing, adapting, and practicing.
    • Practical
Re: The Irony of Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:55:16 AM »
You are mindful enough to be aware that you are not mindful during times you would like to be mindful; that's a good start.

The way it has worked in my experience is first starting when everything is acceptable and you can meditate without distraction.  You work with very low energy feelings.  Then, you can practice being mindful while you walk, while you act, while there is more to distract you.  Finally, you can practice being mindful when your thoughts aggressively pull you away and your habits want you to react, when the mind wants to be least mindful because it means facing and feeling things it has decided long ago were "bad".

In my practice it has acted exactly the same as an exercise program for muscular strength.  Start small, work with what you can, and gradually increase resistance and load to promote strength and growth.

Start being mindful of what you can, then slowly practice being mindful of things a little more painful, and with time the entirety of life experience can (supposedly) be lived in uninterrupted awareness.  (I say supposedly because I'm not there yet.  I'm able to be more mindful of things that would overpower me months ago, and I could say the same thing then for more months back, but I am not personally able to maintain uninterrupted awareness)

But of course, this is just my take on my experience.  Others will have different opinions.
In my experience, peace is not enjoyment or happiness, nor will peace keep you from getting hurt or depressed.  Peace is only the quality of not being disturbed.

Seph

• Jung-Joong-Dong of Jungshin Sooyang ("Silence in Stillness, Stillness in Motion")
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
@DK
Thank you.
Your words of advice are an encouragement.
I think you're right. Start small. Deal with what you can. Tackle the more difficult/painful issues when I can.
...I suppose I always knew that...
It's nice to hear someone say it.

DK

• Practicing, adapting, and practicing.
    • Practical
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
...I suppose I always knew that...
It's nice to hear someone say it.

Hahaha :D

I know exactly what you mean, and that's the entire reason I'm here!

What's that saying?  You need to be reminded more often than taught?  I also get overwhelmed by the torrent of thoughts every so often (even though I know exactly what I need to do), and it's nice to come here and know that I am not alone, that there are others looking to live differently and more skillfully as well, and they have come across the same obstacles and challenges as myself.

Have a good practice and take care,
In my experience, peace is not enjoyment or happiness, nor will peace keep you from getting hurt or depressed.  Peace is only the quality of not being disturbed.

ramat

• Write something about yourself here
    • Pranahuti Aided Meditation
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »
It is tough to meditate when we are disturbed..true..but our attitude towards these should be positive..thinking that mind is throwing out these stuff and let it.. we just be watching, not judging them. Be thankful for those moments. These may be more during initial years of practice.
As per my experience, these situations will not come at will. When they come feel good as it is going out.

DL

• 39 y , male , serious in vipassana
    • did Goenka course, reading Shinzen Young mateyal.
    • יהודי,ציוני,חילוני,רווק,אתאיסט
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:18:36 PM »
i am not sure that the right time to practice vipassana is when you are in anxiety.

for me there are 2 situation from this kind :

1. i am tense bacuse what happening now - then vipaasan hekps me

2. i am tense because i am afraid from what will happen in the near future  - lets say - 2 hours from now. then i find trazadental meditation better.