Author Topic: Group Zen Practice is helping me!  (Read 2533 times)

AllThingsWon

• Write something about yourself here
    • my own
Group Zen Practice is helping me!
« on: September 23, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
Hey guys and girls!

So a few years back, I had a life changing experience, which I've come to call a "spiritual" experience, during a brief period of personal crisis. I was very depressed before this change and what basically happened was it put me in a great mood for many months. To read more about my "profound shift", please go to this thread:
 http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,2216.0.html

But this great mood started to fade gradually, day by day, week by week, month by month, even year by year. It was tremendously painful to notice myself going back to some old habits (of action, speech, thought, and emotion). I became less stable and a bit confused at times.

And then, about a month ago, I realized (perhaps remembered is more accurate) and accepted that in order to maintain this "great mood" of heightened clarity, balance, harmony, awareness, compassion, creativity, etc,  I MUST PRACTICE. Plain and simple. ...not only to maintain but to PROGRESS EVEN FURTHER.   So I decided to approach my practice in a more "systematic" way. I attended a morning zazen class in a local zen center. Although it was challenging the first day(because I was a bit anxious and my back and legs kept getting sore from sitting), I loved it and I felt the positive effect it had on me almost immediately. We sit for 30 mins, then do walking meditation, then sit again and listen to the teacher speak, then do walking meditation again, then 30 mins sitting, then group circle -where people have the opportunity to share their thoughts on whatever the subject was that day. It's a diverse and friendly group and I met some cool interesting people.

I feel sharper, more clear, more confident, less anxious, less confused since I began this group practice. It's really helping me alot. I think next week, I'll sit with the sensei in daison and share with him my feelings.

I just love the feeling of sitting with like-minded people keeping perfectly still and silent with an intention of self love. Most people that attend are lay practitioners, with jobs and families. That's also a reason why I love it. I can relate to these people. We're on the same boat!! and it's a great feeling :)

Just thought I'd share with you all the beginning of the next phase of my spiritual practice.

Peace

redalert

Re: Group Zen Practice is helping me!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:14:27 PM »
Good to hear you are walking again, some experiences can be very uplifting and we find ourselves floating around for a spell. But as you've experienced they wear off eventually.

Nice to hear you have found a group to sit with, this can provide much support with the development of a daily practice, and can help to pick us up if we stumble or trip.

Happy for you, :)
Red

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 07:03:31 PM »
And then, about a month ago, I realized (perhaps remembered is more accurate) and accepted that in order to maintain this "great mood" of heightened clarity, balance, harmony, awareness, compassion, creativity, etc,  I MUST PRACTICE. Plain and simple. ...not only to maintain but to PROGRESS EVEN FURTHER.   So I decided to approach my practice in a more "systematic" way.

Maybe something "reminded you"? ... :D

It might be valuable, if you truly wish to help all beings, to explore this and the experiences you have had more systematically.

Group practice is a great anchor and spending time with others on the path a great help. Glad you've found a group that works for you Paul.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

AllThingsWon

• my own
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
Good to hear you are walking again, some experiences can be very uplifting and we find ourselves floating around for a spell. But as you've experienced they wear off eventually.

Nice to hear you have found a group to sit with, this can provide much support with the development of a daily practice, and can help to pick us up if we stumble or trip.

Happy for you, :)
Red
Thankyou for your positive words, Red :) It seems that you have experience with group meditation. mind sharing more of your personal feelings about it? thnx in advance

AllThingsWon

• my own
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »
Matthew, I was expecting you :) Thankyou for your suggestion and for your words of encouragement. With respect... Would you mind sharing some of your personal feelings about sitting with a group?