Author Topic: Question on Goenka Vipassana Form of Meditation  (Read 1343 times)

Question on Goenka Vipassana Form of Meditation
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
 ???

Hello Everyone,
I attended a 10 day Goenka Vipassana course. Here is the background about my experience. I am able to feel/experience mostly the gross sensations and some lighter or slightly subtler sensations. I have noticed that the gross sensations go away after a long time and come back after sometime, not too quick to see it very well when the change is happening. There are also some sensations which remain for very long time or almost always at some places. Hence I have noticed impermanence, but that strong understanding of Anicca is not there "inside" my mind. The question is, should I "consider" sensations to be Anicca and then observe sensations equanimously? Does our Anicca experience keep increasing automatically as we keep doing it and we need not consider Anicca and observe the sensations(Just observe equanimously)? The question is how to get the experience of Annica when gross sensations are there, which change too slowly to notice.

Here is how I observe sensations: I "try" to observe sensations with an approach not to react, not to expect more than what the fact is or not hate the sensations. I see what it is. Maybe I react with or without knowledge. I do not verbalize that sensations are Anicca..Anicca.. Anicca. I see a sensation and try to just observe. Anything missing or incorrect?

I have not felt that my equanimity has improved much, although I did not react much to the pain sensations which was most of the sensations. Or is it because I have not reacted much to pain, my equanimity with pain is fine and may be not with other types of sensations. Please advise and guide if I am doing it properly or not.

Thanks,
Vipassana_Beginner

joiedelivre

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Re: Question on Goenka Vipassana Form of Meditation
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
Sometimes I wonder if fora like this lead to people thinking if their experience  or 'progress' doesn't match others, then they are doing something wrong.  In meditation your path is your own, your experience is yours.  But some suggestions: perhaps leave out the 'trying' and simply observe all the sensations as you find them.   All else will follow. Don't try to change sensations.  They will arise and pass of their own accord.   There is no goal beyond being in the moment.  Some days those moments will be gross, others subtle, others felt with equanimity, other noticing strong aversion or craving or pain.  Meditation doesn't make the world's vissicitudes go away.  Conditioned reaction to change also takes time to notice and not knee-jerk react to.  What we are observing is life 'as it is', not how we try to make it be or try to want it to be.  Just keep at it, maybe not 'think' about it so much, watch the breath, notice the sensations and life as well as your meditation will take its own time and own unique course.  Much metta...