Author Topic: Sensing the "isness" of things  (Read 1826 times)

rodrigo

• Not well defined, but sort of Theravada
Sensing the "isness" of things
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:01:39 AM »
Hi, everyone.

Occasionally I've been having a peculiar experience some time after meditation - not during - that is becoming more common, strong and lasting longer.

It feels as if I'm sensing the "isness" of things. It's almost as if I'm touching, but it isn't related to physical touch or distance.

So, for example, if I look at a chair, I can sense the "isness" of the chair, not the "chairness". It's like I can sense the existence of the chair being.

At first it was happening for a few moments and for random things, as if a bubble of the sensasion poped into existence in the world - it's really like it is in the world - and then disappeared. But now when it happens it's becoming more pervasive, specially if I give space for it to continue.

Since it's a somewhat strange sensation, I was wondering: does it mean anything? Or is it just a random experience?

Regards,

Rodrigo

redalert

Re: Sensing the "isness" of things
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
Hi rodrigo maybe this will be helpful to you,

Even a stone, and more easily a flower or a bird, could show you the way back to God, to the Source, to yourself.  When you look at it or hold it & let it be without imposing a word of mental label on it, a sense of awe, of wonder, arises within you.  Its essence silently communicates itself to you and reflects your own essence back to you.  This is what great artists sense and succeed in conveying in their art.  Van Gogh didn't say: "That's just an old chair."  He looked, and looked, and looked.  He sensed the Beingness of the chair.  Then he sat in front of the canvas and took up the brush.  The chair itself would have sold for the equivalent of a few dollars.  The painting of that same chair today would fetch in excess of $25 million.

Eckhart Tolle

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:43:17 PM »
Rodrigo,

On the path you will experience many changes of perception. You seem to be seeing things as they are but this is likely still full of perceptual filters and conditioning. Keep up the practice, cling to nothing, let experience be what it is, remain mindful of experience and stay anchored in the breath and body sensation. You will find deeper layers of seeing 'what is'.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

AllThingsWon

• Write something about yourself here
    • my own
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:30 AM »
Hey Rodrigo! pretty cool, isn't it?! HAHA  Well, I think usually the first time that one experiences what you've described- feels strange, but it's not too much of a shock because they must have been "ready" to experience it in the first place. It shows your meditation practice is paying off :) That's great! and I'm happy for you. Now, what you described resonates strongly with my experience, but as I consider myself "new" to this "is-ness sensing", I sometimes get caught up in the strangeness (almost awkwardness) of it and fail to continually live with this true perception.

We know somewhere in our "hearts" , that this "truth-seeing", this "is-ness sensing" must ultimately serve a greater good, a higher purpose, a deeper intention than what we before pursued, prior to the development of this "ability". I constantly strive, esp in my meditation practice, to see this "ability" as normal.

I read and reply to this thread with joy, openness, and love :)  :)  :)

Namaste