Author Topic: Five years on  (Read 3352 times)

Five years on
« on: August 24, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
hello. five years ago I completed a 10 day  goenka retreat.
I guess I got blown away by the beautiful sensations that at times I experianced while on the course,
it felt like (banga -?).I also felt the uncomfortable sensations.on arriving at home after a few weeks all sensations disappeared although if I was scanning the body and was concentrating on my right foot I may feel a sensation on my forehead say or elsewhere. after two or so years after talking with assistant teachers I realised what had happened and learnt to except what turned up and stay equanimous  in my meditation practice but after four ten day retreats, same story, after a week at home no sensations.my concern is if I can't feel painful feelings (=aversion) or pleasant feelings (=cravings) then am I getting any benefit from this method of meditation and should I find another method . I'm 62 now and sometimes in my youth have smoked pot and done a bit of boozing.i have tried samatha meditation for over a month with no improvements.in advance may I thank you all. warm regards martin

redalert

Re: Five years on
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
Hello Martin,

Can you sit for 1 hour without breaking posture when you practice at home?

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »
 I was going to say yes. then I thought about it and propably have never actually tried it or achieved it.martin

redalert

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 08:11:19 PM »
Do you practice at home or just on course?

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
up until recently I would meditate for 1 hour in the morning and evening at home.martin

redalert

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:35:43 PM »
I don't understand, you practice 1hr in the morning, and 1hr in the evening, but shift and change posture during this period?

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
when i have been on the course we have to practice keeping still for one hour but i have never actively done this at home martin

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Martin,

Would you clarify what is your 'Shamatha' practice please? Then some advice might come that helps. If you are not feeling it is probably only a small adjustment in practice that is needed.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

redalert

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
when i have been on the course we have to practice keeping still for one hour but i have never actively done this at home martin

Ok, now I understand.

Keep still for your hour sittings and the sensations will become more apparent.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:02:28 AM »
matthew,
I would observe my breath but NOT at the tip of my nose - just observing the incoming and outgoing.martin

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 06:00:32 PM »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the clarification. It's still a bit vague though and it could be that you are conceptualising the in and out of the breath. This would certainly lead to a lack of feeling, as could focusing around the nose or upper lip.

The mediation sutras are very clear: breathing in sensitive to the entire body and calming bodily fabrications, breathing out sensitive to the entire body and calming bodily fabrications.

Also given the long history you have with nose-mediation it could take more than a month for you to shake some of the subtle habits that will have formed. Equally if you can truly grasp the meaning and practice sensitive to the entire body for two hours a day it may happen sooner.

I hope that makes some sense to you.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
thanks for showing a interest guys. sorry matthew I don't fully understand what you're saying. however the main question was if I can't feel sensations is there any point continuing with this method of vipasanna? if I can' t feel uncomfortable feelings (aversion) and pleasant feelings (craving) am I getting anything from this method of vipasanna.regards martin

redalert

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »
Hello Martin,

Can you sit for 1 hour without breaking posture when you practice at home?

You never really answered the question put to you martin.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 02:04:35 AM »
Martin,

Shamatha/Anapana is all about feeling body at least in the beginning. Feeling every part of body, not following breath in and out but feeling your belly expand and contract, muscles in your legs and back adjust, neck, throat .. All of it, everything, every sensation created through the process of inhaling and exhaling ... If you are having trouble feeling it's a good place to start. However aversion and craving are a layer of mind beyond this visceral feeling, my suspicion is your practice to date has missed this fundamental of physicality of breath in body - without it things usually go wrong further down the path.

Kindly,

Matthew

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Hello Martin,

Allow me to take a vey different approach. Whether you react or not, that is for you to decide.

I go from the assumption that one starts meditation to get a deeper understanding of life. 
And that one goes on meditating because meditating seems meaningful in itself.
It may be different for you.

What is it that keeps you going?

It is known that meditation can streighten out one's life. A friend of mine called sitting in meditation: "defragmentation of the mind".
I wonder what other skills you have to help you with that; and also what knowledge you have to foresee what is on the path.

So, basically, I talk about getting to know the terrain in stead of focussing in on meditation techniques.
(I do know that subtle differences on how one meditates can give huge differences over the years. But I choose not to start from that point.)