Author Topic: Peace?  (Read 12476 times)

redalert

Re: Peace?
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
Hi Floyd,
If there is not a quiet still observing presence to witness the partying then would that experience exist?

Peace is not dependent on the particular quality of colours ,sounds , etc....

floyd

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2013, 05:36:59 PM »
Hi Redalert

a quiet still observing presence

I've no idea who or what presence you are alluding to.

... would that experience exist

Who's experience and what do you mean 'exist'? Experiences can't exist because there's nothing to them. They may or may not cause memory that you can keep.

Peace is not dependent on the particular quality of colours ,sounds , etc....

Phew, that's lucky, we'll get away with cassette tapes and cheap paint then :)

Cheers

AllThingsWon

• Write something about yourself here
    • my own
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2013, 06:17:57 PM »
Words can be tricky. Are words like "peace" and "nirvana" objective or subjective? Just meditating on this question for a while brings me, personally, into a state where I see the insanity in being attached to words and labels. We must be wise in the use of them to communicate, esp with topics of spirituality. Also, considering that we are attempting to communicate via text alone (I suppose smilies count for something too LOL), our ability to transmit and receive the bulk energy of that which is intentionally being communicated IS LIMITED. Energy is transmitted and received MUCH MORE ACCURATELY AND EFFECTIVELY when we are in the direct presence of someone, right? The goal of poetry and all art, for that matter, is to express the unexpressable, right? (paraphrasing Alan Watts)

With that said, I think Matthew is doing a great job in moderating this thread. Red and others, you seem to be playing the game with words a bit much. There needs to be more of a purpose to this thread. Red, you seem to be very contemplative, WHICH IS GREAT. I'm not attempting to rain on your parade. But most of what you will realize about your true self is realized during or as a result of meditation. NOT ON A WEBSITE. sorry just my 2cents.

Namaste

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
... Afterall, language is an agreed set of conventions by which we can communicate - note I say communicate and not tangerine because if I said tangerine you'd have no idea what I was going on about.

Exactly what 90% of this thread is about: semantics, and therefore pretty pointless.

So yes, I guess if we all used the word peace enough instead of the word nibbana then perhaps the meaning would evolve through common usage, but until then peace means peace and nibbana means something entirely different.

What's with the peace fixation anyhow? ...

I suspect the answer to that last question is that red is quite attached to 'being right'. There is no disrespect in this answer, I too am strongly attached to 'being right', which is exactly why I have avoided answering in this thread until able to let go of that attachment. It's a work in progress.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

redalert

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »
I suspect the answer to that last question is that red is quite attached to 'being right'.

Red can be a bit of a dick when he's not being watched carefully. He is a slippery, crafty, son of a gun as well.

He has however been bound and gagged and is under the microscope as of lately, this thread is coming from me.

Just call me alert.

OR THE SUPREME ALERTED ONE!!!  RULER OF THE XSDBTANGERINE>.>HEY*&GTR.GET...ab6r2AWAY?/...............

Sorry about that, the silly bugger got untied. :)

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2013, 03:00:57 AM »
Dear lord, don't tell me he's into contrived wackiness also. You have quite the repertoire of diversions :)

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
Red can be a bit of a dick    . . .   
:o    I agree with that ???     
                         I hope you can take that  8)

<Me pleading on my bare knees:>
OH GREAT
RULER OF THE XSD TANGERINE
SHINE YOU LIGHT ON ME,
FEED ME WITH THE LATEST VIDEOTAPE,
THAT I MIGHT FOR EVER UNDERSTAND
HOW TO TALK
< I tried to do this in orange, with flags and balloons, and music playing. Sorry - I did not manage to.>

Red Alert was a famous firefighter when I was young. Fighting a fire at an oil well with explosives, for instance. Like you blow out a candle, but than on a somewhat bigger scale.

redalert

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2013, 11:33:29 AM »
Climb aboard the XSD TANGERINE and we'll all go to Cobblera!!!!!

Cobble, Cobble, Cobblera!!!!!

But Ringo aint drivin anymore!  :D

??? ??? ??? ??? ???