Author Topic: Newbie: Difficulty following breath  (Read 1506 times)

xaw

Newbie: Difficulty following breath
« on: July 13, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to meditation and really want to start doing it routinely as part of my life.
I am currently reading mindfulness in plain english (but only 40% through it).

My goals are to become more relaxed in every day life, remove some anxiety and most importantly to lose my ego and stop thinking negatively so much.

I have been doing it 10-15 mins every day for the past week, but I am running into some difficulties.

I can't seem to focus solely on my breath and become aware of it.
I am always consciously thinking about each breath I take and there is a lot of mental clutter.
ie. I inhale - "Ok I think I felt which part of my nostril I felt the breath inhaling into, now to exhale". "Ok that's another exhale done".
I am pretty much commentating to myself if I followed my breath or not, as I read to find a point to focus on (something I am having trouble finding). So I keep questioning myself with every inhale/exhale if I found that point.
I am always trying to mentally picture my nose as I breath and which part I am feeling the breath in no matter how hard I try not to.

Hope someone can help as I don't think I am getting the full benefit out of it.

Thanks!

redalert

Re: Newbie: Difficulty following breath
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to meditation and really want to start doing it routinely as part of my life.
I am currently reading mindfulness in plain english (but only 40% through it).

My goals are to become more relaxed in every day life, remove some anxiety and most importantly to lose my ego and stop thinking negatively so much.

I have been doing it 10-15 mins every day for the past week, but I am running into some difficulties.

Welcome to the forum xaw, it's good that you have started meditating and that is an excellent book.

I am always consciously thinking about each breath I take and there is a lot of mental clutter.
ie. I inhale - "Ok I think I felt which part of my nostril I felt the breath inhaling into, now to exhale". "Ok that's another exhale done".
I am pretty much commentating to myself if I followed my breath or not, as I read to find a point to focus on (something I am having trouble finding). So I keep questioning myself with every inhale/exhale if I found that point.
I am always trying to mentally picture my nose as I breath and which part I am feeling the breath in no matter how hard I try not to.
It sounds like you may be trying to force concentration.

It is not necessary to feel the touch of breath at the beginning, be content in the fact that you are dedicating this 15 min period of the day to being still.
Ask yourself, am I still breathing? and then check, you may feel movement in the stomach area(rising/falling), you may simply be aware of the incoming breath and outgoing breath but not percieve any distinct sensation. This is enough to start with.

The commentary you are doing is also normal, as your practice developes the mind will naturally calm down and you will be able to stay with the breath for longer uninterupted periods of time. Each time you catch the mind wandering and bring it back to the object of breathing you are developing in mindfulness.

As you progress you may want to see if you can tell which nostril the breath is entering and exiting, right nostril left nostril or both, and again see if you can stay with the breath for longer and longer periods of time, never get frusterated if the mind wanders just be aware that the mind wandered away and gently bring the awareness back to breathing. See if you can maintain awareness for 1 minute uninterupted.

As you develope the ability to remain with the breath for longer and longer periods, subtler and subtler realities of the breath will become aparent. Each time you notice a subtler aspect of the breath bring your awareness to this and again see if you can maintain focus on this for longer periods of time.

It is also normal to try and visualise when meditating, this will diminish with practice.

You may also get a variety of answers on this, go with whatever technique feels right to you.

Re: Newbie: Difficulty following breath
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »

Hope someone can help as I don't think I am getting the full benefit out of it.

Thanks!

Most of what you have listed are due to the mind's working itself... dont force the mind to stop any of the above, it wont work. Instead as you progress let them fall off themself.