Author Topic: Five ways to know yourself - by Shinzen Young  (Read 2224 times)

AJM

Five ways to know yourself - by Shinzen Young
« on: July 04, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
I'm surprised I didn't already see this here. This book is freely downloadable as pdf from www.shinzen.org front page.

Five ways to know yourself is dubbed as "Basic Mindfulness Practice Manual" Indeed it's very comprehensive in that it covers a wide array of meditative techniques and tries to put it all together in a description of all human condition.

What I like about it is that it covers everything I've learned about personal development and meditation that works and puts it in a clear cut model that is easy to understand although a bit overwhelming after the first read. The book also puts in to perspective a wide array of religious complentative practices from christiniaty, Islam, buddhism, zen and even shamanism.

If there could be any criticism it's that it doesn't cover Jhanas or even though there is a chapter on tranquil meditation and you couldn't really call it a beginners guide as there is no "start here" section. But Shinzen has published an audio series called "Science of Enlightenment" which has quite a few guided meditations and also background explanation to put it into perspective that could serve as an introduction.

Hope you find it as useful as I have. It certainly feels like I've finally found a system that puts it all together.

Atanavat

• अतनवत्
    • Panoptic
Re: Five ways to know yourself - by Shinzen Young
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
 :) Thank you AJM