Author Topic: Good Meditation session report.  (Read 3296 times)

Flipasso

Good Meditation session report.
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:50:14 AM »
Today I had a great meditation session.
I went out to Jongrom (walking meditation) and wasn't really in it... I was then interrupted by a friend I met on the street and I noticed I was much more aware of feelings.
I talked to him a while and then went home, leaving my Jongrom session uncompleted.
I read a text, that I'll probably post here on the differences between samatha and vipassana and how to practice both, and in the text there was a very important (for me) line. It explained how one can want (to enter jhana) and at the same time let go of that wish.
It was something like this "if you're wishing you enter jhana you're not actually practicing, you're just sitting there wishing. so for this session you should worry only about being present with at least one in-breath and one out-breath consecutively, just one".

I went to my zafu and sat trying to be aware of just the in-breath and latter just the out-breath. I found out I was controlling the breath too much, so I started trying to be aware of a whole in-out-breath cycle starting at the beggining of the in-breath and ending at the end of the out-breath. Overall my awareness of the breath and the intention of breathing was lesser but the overall awareness was greater and it wasn't so stiff.
I stayed 10mins very much merged with the breath and with the visualizations (which I tried to discard) that were automatically generated.
These 10mins were very calming and I felt very concentrated.
Then I "woke up" and changed my legs position: crossing, this time, the left leg on top of the right.
This brought fourth a season of less awareness (probably less effort was being made) and more day-dreaming....  I wondered about numerous things, with a very pleasant feeling. How everything will turn out OK... How meditation can actually help me... How practice actually gives one the answers one needs to get answered about practice, etc...
I had a few moments when the inner-general-subtle-feeling/emotion (what I was feeling) seemed to be clearer to me.
And I also had some strange, body-size feelings.
These last 10mins of lesser awareness were very pleasant and very productive "thought-wise" but less productive "concentration-wise". I think right now it's time to get established on samatha.

Conclusions: For the next few sessions, I think I'll be trying the same approach: only concerning about being aware of one in-out-breath cycle at a time. I think I'll try not changing the leg position, and instead meditate one day, with the left on top of the right leg; and on the other day, with the right on top of the left leg.
The reason for changing legs is to get my knees ready for a full-lotus without much pain.
It was indeed an interesting session.

Comments?

happiness@you.all

PS - I'm very glad I read Ven. Payutto's advice of keeping track of at least one in-out-breath cycle.
He said (wrote) that it's better to be mindfull of at least one cycle than of none.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:00:08 AM by Flipasso »

poiqwepoi

Re: Good Meditation session report.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:50:05 AM »
I find that all my meditation periods are different.  But I always seem to enjoy it, even if it doesn't go the way I aim.  I think that the worst meditation is as instructive as the best.  Because the worst is when you have to fight for every second of the right state of mind.  If you gain the right state of mind it cannot be bad.  If I consider the net benefit, even the worst meditation session is satisfying and good. 

But that one breath at a time technique does wonder for me, especially at the beginning of the meditation session.    Especially at lunch time, at the office, to go from the frantic downtown office mode to 20 minutes of meditation, adjoining this one breath at a time with a mantra proves very efficient to me.  Sometimes, when my mind is very active, I say this mantra in my head: "la prochaine"  which basically means "the next one".  It helps me focus to my breath and remind me that I am here to concentrate on the next breath, and especially on the impermanence of the whole process, on the way nothing stops.  Once I am in better control, I just enjoy the present.  And time goes much faster this way.    Meditation really is a  fun thing to experiment. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:50:53 AM by poiqwepoi »

Flipasso

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:28:45 AM »
I agree with you poiqwepoi.
From my recent experience, It seems that every session you learn a bit, and if you don't then... well that's the lesson you need to learn, that you didn't learn anything...
It also seems that there are external factors which I don't yet understand that influence my ability to concentrate.
For example, even my ability to change my predisposition to concentrate is sometimes debilitated by external factors. So meditating seems like the answer to the problems of meditation itself... being more aware, of these factors, may improve my practice and hence improve my awareness of factors slowing it down....
A catch-22.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 10:33:40 AM »
You could call it a catch 22 yet in reality you are right that meditation is the cure for problems with meditation. I would say its more appropriate to call it a progressive path than a catch 22. A catch 22 would mean more meditation meant meditating got worse. No?

Meditate comes from Latin "medicare" to heal.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:35:27 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:45:47 AM »
ohhh... ok
it seems that I got the expression catch-22 wrong.
I thought it meant a vicious (or virtuous) cicle.
We have an expression in portuguese that is "Uma Pescada de rabo na boca" which means a fish with it's tail in it's mouth, meaning it's a cycle, not necessarily a good or bad one.
Sorry for the mis-understanding.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:49 AM »
From wikipedia:

"Catch-22 is a satirical, historical novel by the American author Joseph Heller, first published in 1961. The novel, set during the later stages of World War II from 1943 onwards, is frequently cited as one of the great literary works of the Twentieth century."

"Among other things, Catch-22 is a general critique of bureaucratic operation and reasoning. Resulting from its specific use in the book, the phrase "Catch-22" is common idiomatic usage meaning "a no-win situation" or "a double bind" of any type. Within the book, "Catch-22" is a military rule, the self-contradictory circular logic that, for example, prevents anyone from avoiding combat missions. In Heller's own words:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," Yossarian observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed."
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~