Author Topic: Dealing with change ie career  (Read 2163 times)

LouBot

Dealing with change ie career
« on: June 09, 2013, 06:34:52 AM »
Hi All,

My first post so please bear with me ;)
I've been thinking about moving to a new job for a long time. I recognize the need for new challenges and opportunities in my working life,etc....
The problem is ive been  procrastinating heavily for a couple of years now (I've been at my current place of employment for 12 years) and its fast looking like there are no more real\ new opportunities for me there

I have been meditating regularly for several months now and feel like a lot of the root causes for this are surfacing- mainly fear, anxiety, frustration, etc...fear of being unable to succeed in my new role, fear of learning new skills, frustration with my current work situation ...now at the same time i'm also finding my drive to seriously study and prepare for my next career move.

Obviously medtation practise is a never-endling learning exercise so i dont want to fall into the trap that i can actually START looking for a job when i 'TOTALLY' feel ready since who knows if ill ever feel totally ready?

Has anyone experienced some of the turmoil of moving to a new job\ situations whilst at the same time being the the newish\ development phase of their meditation practise?

thank you
LouBot

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Dealing with change ie career
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
About 5-6 months into my meditation I undertook a total life change, I left my job, my family (except my immediate family), a city I'd lived in for over 30 years for a small town in quite a different climate. It was a pretty tough period in my life as I had come out of several years of a shitty situation as well as all the upheaval I'd put myself in. At the time and in hindsight, I'd given myself a bit too much at one time to handle I think. But also in hindsight, it was one of the greatest things to ever happen to me, both in terms of the living environment I've given myself and the mental state of mind I now find myself in.

I'm not sure how to sum things up so maybe run with this; throw yourself at life. Things might be better or worse but they're always going to be better or worse, it's better to be consciously active in your life than just a passive spectator living out the same algorithm day in, day out. And on the flipside, sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side, if you smell pooh everywhere you go, maybe it's on your shoe.