Author Topic: How do you transition into insight meditation?  (Read 2128 times)

Mikeler

• Write something about yourself here
    • None
How do you transition into insight meditation?
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »
I've been doing Shamatha (calm abiding, mindfulness of breath) meditation for some time now and I'm just wondering, at which point do I transition into vipassana or insight meditation?

What should I be doing differently and what should I expect?

So far I've just been developing concentration by focusing on the breath, but I'm wondering where the "wisdom" comes in.

Thanks.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: How do you transition into insight meditation?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
You can bring vipassana in at any time, in fact I imagine you already have been unconsciously if you have been noting and addressing thoughts. It's just that it is often easier if you have managed to calm yourself first.

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:52:14 AM »
Vipassana is not really something that you necessarily do, rather it's a byproduct of meditation. Vipassana simply means insight, and through meditation insight is hopefully achieved. Insight, however, is not something you should be seeking through meditation. It will occur naturally through right technique and especially right effort. Nevertheless, I believe what you are asking is when to use techniques that may lead to insight. Whatever your technique is, whether it is through observing sensations, noting thoughts or feelings, etc. I would recommend starting this when you have achieved calmness or right concentration.
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Mikeler

• Write something about yourself here
    • None
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 01:00:12 AM »
The only practice I use is mindfulness of breath (specifically abdomen rising and falling).

When my natural breathing gets too shallow to the point where I can't notice it, I try to detect any sensations in the body.

Billymac629

• Bill
  • Everything rises and everything falls away
    • Breath and Satipatthana
    • mindfully observing
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »
There are some really good answers here.   I will just add that if you keep using mindfulness of breathing, then just keep following the steps in Anapanasati (mindfulness of breathing).  There are 16 steps..  I believe everything after the 4th step is dealing with aspects of insight (vipassana).
It should be noted that the Buddha never really separated concentration and insight in practice.... 
Nothing in this world is to be clung to as I, me, or mine...

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Billymac nailed it:

I will just add that if you keep using mindfulness of breathing, then just keep following the steps in Anapanasati (mindfulness of breathing).  There are 16 steps..  I believe everything after the 4th step is dealing with aspects of insight (vipassana).
It should be noted that the Buddha never really separated concentration and insight in practice.... 
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~