Author Topic: Gnosticism and Buddhism, how can they differ?  (Read 1944 times)

Tomontheway

Gnosticism and Buddhism, how can they differ?
« on: May 31, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
I think it's strange that gnosticism has so much focus on transmutation of sexual energy whilst I find little mention of this in buddhism. In Gnosticism transmutation seems like a solid wall. It basically says that there can be no real spiritual awakening unless you learn to transform the sexual energy. Mindfullness is just the prerequisite to awakening in gnosticism, whilst in buddhism it seems to be all you need.

What am I missing? Besides the emphasis on sexual transmutation these two religions seem to be pointing at the exact same thing.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Gnosticism and Buddhism, how can they differ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:00:06 PM »
Tom

Don't know the Gnostic traditions that well yet in Buddhism avoidance of sexual misconduct is basic. Buddhism does not differentiate between energies in the same way and differs from Gnosticism in many fundamentals. Buddhism denies a creator god and also the soul. That's quite a start.

Mindfulness/Awareness is a result of development of Insight/Vipassana and is is not all you need in Buddhism. Calm or Shamatha is the other leg behind Mindfulness as you walk the path. As these faculties grow from meditation practice hand in hand you grow in compassion, equanimity, peace, wisdom. Mindfulness is a foundation but not the end of the road.

Matthew
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:05:18 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Tomontheway

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:21:34 PM »
Matthew

Misconduct for a man in gnosticism is basically the waste of semen or orgasm. Would you say the same of buddhism?

Obviously you are right about there being more to buddhism than just mindfullness.

But God and spirit are surely just linguistic differences in culture from east to west. Just as self and nonself seem to be the same. And to truly be is not to be?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »
Tom,

For monks yes. The Buddha elucidated many rules about this: not having sex with a hole in the ground or a tree, not masturbating .. the list goes on.

For lay persons less strict.

God and spirit are not basic semantic differences. The fundamental doctrine of Anatman in Buddhism is what t says. Atman means sould or spirit and in Pali, as in Latin, An - before a word is negation. So Buddhist doctrine is of no soul/spirit.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~