Author Topic: Focussing on the back of my eyelids?  (Read 6855 times)

Linde1

Focussing on the back of my eyelids?
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
Hi,
I am new to meditation. 
I started about 9 weeks ago and meditate ~20mins every morning.
Whilst meditating I was closing my eyes and looking at the back of my eyelids, as I thought that's what I was meant to do.
Half way through one session about week 3 I felt my eyes lose that focus and drift into that semi-aware state that you feel when you are trying to go to sleep.
I thought I was sleep-deprived and tried to regain my eye focus, but couldn't.

I can no longer maintain that focussed stare at the back of my eyelids for more than about 5 seconds.  I always fall into that semi-aware state I mentioned.  I am not sleepy, or sleeping and I never lose the mantra or the focus on my breath.

But, because it has changed, I am wondering about it.  Is this what I am supposed to feel? I always wonder if I am meant to keep some sort of sharp focussed conscious state instead of what I now expereince.

Would like to hear from anyone who knows what I mean.
Thanks

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Focussing on the back of my eyelids?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
I wouldn't get too focused on whether your eyes are focused on the backs of your eyelids, or if your eyes are closed at all. I find it better to sit in the dark and have my eyes slightly open, rather than having to put conscious effort into having them closed.

A semi-aware state is halfway there :)

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »
hi,
As you remove attachments from thoughts you start having thought arising which feels similar to sleep. It is a state i really like to dwell in. As for as the focus on the breath ( i dont have experience in mantra) it takes quite some time to understand whats happening and how to control awareness in this state. Practising vipassana becomes even more tougher in this state.. ;) dont give up and dont hate it.

windaub

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:59:00 AM »
I can no longer maintain that focussed stare at the back of my eyelids for more than about 5 seconds.  I always fall into that semi-aware state I mentioned.  I am not sleepy, or sleeping and I never lose the mantra or the focus on my breath.

I don't understand, are you focusing on your eyelids, a mantra, or your breath, or all of them?

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:22:42 AM »
You may want to choose a better way to meditate: http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/page,10.html
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Linde1

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
Thank you all.
It feels like a semi-asleep state, like drifting off to sleep, that sort of inner drift away from reality and it's immediate. 
Yet I open my eyes and I am completely alert.  Every time.
It's a change from when I first started meditating weeks ago.
That's what I mean. Perhaps I didn't explain it properly the first time.

Is that what you are all experiencing?

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
Linde, IMO from a Vipassana perspective, the practitioner can come across different states. So, there is nothing special about coming across semi-asleep state etc. The practitioner continues to look for impermanence while going through all states. I am not sure what is the basis of your meditation practice. If it is on the basis of Vipassana, then you simple move on. Or, it may also be because that focusing on back of eye-lids may not be a good approach for Insight meditation practice, semi-sleepiness maybe just a symptom of dullness/sloth. Which is why I shared the link to meditation practice instructions in my previous post.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

paroxysm_reroute

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 03:53:29 PM »
Whilst meditating I was closing my eyes and looking at the back of my eyelids, as I thought that's what I was meant to do.
Half way through one session about week 3 I felt my eyes lose that focus and drift into that semi-aware state that you feel when you are trying to go to sleep.

Closing the eyelids and looking up is a method to induce self-hypnosis. My impression is that we are not supposed to go to sleep during meditation but to maintain awareness.  All the Buddhist images (Tibetan tankas, etc.) I have seen show the eyes open a slit and looking out. 

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
...It feels like a semi-asleep state, like drifting off to sleep, that sort of inner drift away from reality and it's immediate....

This is what's happening:

Closing the eyelids and looking up is a method to induce self-hypnosis.....

Is that what you are all experiencing?

No. You say your practice is "Transcendental" - did you learn it from a book?

You may find the method linked to by Vivek above more fruitful. This is not a TM forum ... so if you wish to follow that path I doubt we can be of great assistance.

Best regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Linde1

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »
Closing the eyelids and looking up is a method to induce self-hypnosis. My impression is that we are not supposed to go to sleep during meditation but to maintain awareness.  All the Buddhist images (Tibetan tankas, etc.) I have seen show the eyes open a slit and looking out. 
Hi,

I never said I was 'looking up' and I never said I was sleeping. 

One or two of you probably didn't read my initial post properly before responding.
It's not self-hypnosis. My local GP teaches  self hypnosis and the technique of just 'closing your eyes and looking up' is nothing like what he has described to me. 
I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that self-hypnosis is that simple. Self hypnosis involves far more than that.

No. You say your practice is "Transcendental" - did you learn it from a book?

You may find the method linked to by Vivek above more fruitful. This is not a TM forum ... so if you wish to follow that path I doubt we can be of great assistance.

Best regards,

Matthew
I called it TM, because, new to meditation, my reading on the Internet suggested it was.
Perhaps I am wrong.  However, your gentle suggestion I go elsewhere?... I certainly will.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »
Linde,

I did not suggest you go elsewhere. I asked for clarification of what you are practicing, and stated that, if you are working with Transcendental Meditation, "I doubt we can be of great assistance".

But you don't seem to know what you are practicing ... no need to be so touchy.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 06:27:39 PM »
i would suggest you (if the problem still not solved) to investigate how that state actually originates. Also how sleep originates.

Ans- when you remove attachments of self from the thoughts it turns into rapid arising of thoughts that doesnt make sense (like dreams). So to solve the problem you have to remove getting involved in this new kind of thoughts and learn to watch them from a distance.