Author Topic: Question about on which stage (of wisdom?) I am  (Read 1957 times)

J0rrit

• Write something about yourself here
    • -
Question about on which stage (of wisdom?) I am
« on: April 25, 2013, 10:22:02 AM »
Hello there,

I'm just curious about if the stage I just entered with my vipassana meditation, approximately one week ago! During my meditation I could for the first time observe my thoughts complete objectively! No matter what kind of thought it is (how negative or how strong or whatever), I can observe them fully as only being thoughts, and they don't trigger emotions anymore! This is awesome and this is what I was looking for (I had problems with severe anxiety, caused by thoughts (offcourse)). This was one week ago that I entered this stage for the first time during the meditation. Now It's like that almost the whole day allready...I also notice that thoughts arise less and less during the day and if they arise I can see them fully as thoughts and they won't trigger anxiety (or other emotions) anymore (almost completely). My awareness has gone up a big step because there arise less and less thoughts! I can also accept my thoughts for 100% because they won't 'hit' me again with emotions. During my meditation this morning I went into a state of almost completely no thoughts at all, which went a long with a feeling of ecstacy, super sharp awareness and visual images. I notice that everytime I meditate since I entered this 'stage' of meditation I have had visual images (I have my eyes closed). I also noticed that I have had visual illusions a couple times just during the day (side effect).

I'm real curious in which 'stage' I am (if this is a defined stage). I think I make huge progress in my meditation since a month. Every single week I enter a 'new' stage in my opinion and I go further and further. It seems soon though, because I only meditate for 5 months every day (first 4 month 30 minutes a day, now 45 minutes a day, and only since a good month I meditate the proper vipassana way, before this I did more samatha-like meditation). It's is 8 months ago that I start meditating, but only the last 5 months everyday, before that it was more occasionally.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully can someone help me with my questions!

greets

Re: Question about on which stage (of wisdom?) I am
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
Only stage given importance in buddha's teaching are realization of annica, no self, dependent origin. All other stages dont bring any radical change in self and are of not much importance. Better to stick to practice and remove the curiosity of know the stage one in and realize the above three realizations in practice as soon as possible  :)

redalert

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 11:31:19 AM »
If your meditation experiences have led you to suffer less than this is good.  :)

My teacher says that the only real measure of progress is the level of compassion and loving kindness one developes for others.

Falkov

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »
In Martial arts- there are white, yellow, green, brown through black belts- indicating different level of skills.  White usually means novice or beginner and black means expert.   Being black belt doesn't necessary mean one is all capable and will win every match/fight- there's still more (constant) practice and more learning which will never stop.   

Same as meditation, don't allow egos and pride take control of you simply because you may know more than others.    If you do, what does that say about you.   As redalert mentioned, "If your meditation experiences have led you to suffer less than this is good.  :) "

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:44:19 PM »
JOrrit,

Without discussing stages and achievement how is your practice going now?

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~