Author Topic: ny meditation centers  (Read 3166 times)

OMW

ny meditation centers
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:33:11 AM »
Hi! I just joined a little while ago and have been reading around a bit. Was wondering if anyone could help me out with something...

Essentially, I've just started getting into Vipassana a couple of months ago. For me, I've found that it goes hand-in-hand with my recovery; the two complement each quite nicely--but I have yet to sit anywhere other than my bedroom. Next month, I'm moving to Manhattan, and looking forward to checking out some of the meditation centers. In particular, the New York Insight Meditation Center is of interest to me, but I'm completely open to try anything. I have no idea where any of you are from but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places they've enjoyed going for Vipassana in NYC.

Thanks!

Ariel

Flipasso

Re: ny meditation centers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »
http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/search.php?keyword=&search=Begin+Search&type_id%5B%5D=1&type_id%5B%5D=2&country_id=2&province_id=53
A search for Buddhist "stuff" in the NY state at Buddhanet.

You can select the limits of your search.
Glad you started Vipassaning.

OMW

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »
Thanks for that, Flip.  :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 09:32:45 AM »
I recently quit from the Shambhala Sangha, however, the New York Shambhala centre is I am told cosmopolitan, lively, open, warm, all things it would want to be. If you do not engage with the Sangha's confused teachings beyond receiving and practicing basic Shamhatha Vipassana (at which they are expert) and some of the arts stuff  I'd recommend taking a look.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

OMW

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »
Hi Matthew. I was actually looking at that center's website recently. It definitely seems worthwhile to check out. But can you please be more specific regarding what you don't like about Shambhala? I've heard vaguely negative comments about Shambhala in the past (on mp3s of lectures) but never anything specific. I hate to sound like such a novice but honestly, that's what I am, and since most of my information thus far is from books and online, I am extremely interested in the opinions of fellow practitioners.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »
Shambhala:

Trogyam Trungpa had many concubines within the Shambhala Sangha. He was an alcoholic and spent the last six months of his life drunk, incontinent and in bed being tended by faithful followers. He was crippled in a car crash seemingly driving drunk.

He appointed a successor the "Vajra Regent" who had Aids. This man egotistically deluded himself into believing his "higher" Tantric practices meant he would not pass the disease on. He therefore slept around quite liberally and infected (murdered) numerous people. This caused something of a troublesome time for the community.

The Sangha to this day has many alcoholics in it hiding behind Trungpa's theories about "mindful drinking" and the consumption of alcohol as part of Tantric practice. They sit, they binge drink, they don't get anyehere with their practice.

The Sangha is unfortunately, like most hierarchical organisations, staffed at the top by many egotists. These "career Buddhists" use the Dhamma as a part of their ego to achieve egoistic ends. They do not use the Dhamma to undo the knots that bind them, therefore they are not even Dhamma practitioners.

Having said this the hierarchy makes up but a small percentage of the many thousands strong Sangha and I met many wonderful people in the Sangha and am still in contact with individual Shambhalians. Most of them are very willing and dedicated and good people trying to follow a spiritual path.

The problem is that the people further down that path are in a high percentage quite screwed up. One of the most senior teachers - for example - was told by the Sakyong - Trungpa's son and heir to stop sleeping with the students on the meditation courses he was teaching. Knowing this man I am quite certain he still sleeps with his students but is much more careful not to get caught.

I would not recommend the "Shambhala Training" as this is poetic nonsense. This was pretty much recognised recently by the Sakyong when he designated it "Shambhala Buddhism" much to the chagrin of the many non-Buddhists who were following those trainings.

As I said before they are excellent for a basic grounding in Shamatha and Vipassana meditation. The contemplative arts such as Kado (the way of flowers), Kyudo (The way of the Bow) and Caligraphy are all excellent and harmless meditations in action that can help you wake up to now.

From what I saw of the "higher" Tantric practices, i.e. the results in the students of the Sangha, I will never follow the Tantric path nor would I recommend anyone to, at least - not with Shambhala. There are some teachers I would discuss studying Tantra with but they are not Shambhala teachers.

The New York centre is one of the most open and genuine from what I have heard and from what I have experienced of their members. the free training they offer in Shamatha and Vipassana is a fantastic place to start. Just don't get too drawn in. Learn from them what they are good at, practice it at home, and don't get lead up the garden path to career Buddhism. It stinks.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jack

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »
Trogyam Trungpa had many concubines within the Shambhala Sangha.

Wow!  Matthew, I am surprised at the tone of this response.   ???  Que pasa?

in peace,
jack

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
Jack,

The Shambhala Sangha showed a complete lack of compassion towards me. There are very many foolish beings in the heart of the organisation - and quite deluded.

You quoted the reference to concubines - there were something like 20 of them. I have met some of them and some of their children and discussed matters. They all seem to accept that their spiritual teacher sleeping with them/their mothers was part of the spiritual path and nothing to do with a drunk Tibetan wanting to get his rocks off.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew