Author Topic: Too much meditation?  (Read 2686 times)

windaub

Too much meditation?
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:21:34 PM »
Hello! As I just said in my new member introduction, I'm meditating again for 2weeks now, but I have some problems to find a balance.
I try to meditate at least 2hours a day, in 2 or 3 meditations, and the rest of the day I try to stay aware permanently of my breathing, or one random body sensation. But some days, like today, I feel very good and I spend more time on my meditations(around 3 or 4hours a day).
But I noticed that when I meditate "too much" in the day, I often feel very bad on the evening, like if I was empty, and I need to compensate my awareness of the day by being unaware, taking compulsive actions like eating a lot just to "not be present".
Do you think I try to go too fast? When I was in the Vipassana course, I often had big "downs", but I was forced to face them because I couldn't take any compulsive actions, what do you think is the good way to manage them in "real life"? I've tried to face my "downs", but they often get worse and worse until I give up

Ps: Please excuse my english, it's a little hard to speak my mind precisely!

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: Too much meditation?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »

There's more than one opinion to this.

Imo you can meditate too much. It is because of the craving for quick progress. And craving, as we know, is not good for your balance. Go at your own pace, it is what I do.

If I climb a mountain that is my size, then in the evening I will be tired but happy. If I take a mountain beyond my size, then I will return in the middle of the night, feeling exhausted and bad. (And if the mountain is far too high, maybe there will be no return at all ... a few meditators, one of whom I know, freaked as a result of overpacing. It is no fun.)

If you do 2h a day, that is not bad at all. And after some more years of training/ practice, 4 hours will be your size ...
anicca

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »
well dont worry about stability, it comes with time as the calm awareness becomes something that u are familiar with, something you get used to. Until then mind will fight against it.

dimeo

• “What we think, we become.“
    • Mahamudra / Dzogchen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
I agree with Stefan about being mindful of "craving".  Much of the original teachings are about becoming aware of our experience of desire and aversion.

Meditation can teach us about impermanence.  The experience of our inner state changes like clouds in the sky.  If we 'cling' to the feelings of calmness and are upset by not having them, this is a cause of suffering.

Meditation can help us become aware of 'things as they are' and to find a way to accept the 'suchness' of reality.  We are learning to accept and let go of feelings of happiness and dissatisfaction.   

Perhaps if you follow your instincts you might find balance through experience.

If we are thirsty and we see a cup and a jug of clean water, without thinking we will fill up that empty cup and drink it.

Similarly, when I feel 'low' and 'burnt out'  I will naturally need some down time.  I find meditation to be one of the best ways for me to recharge my spirit when I feel low.  When I'm really low, it can take a few days to get there!  Some people might think I'm spending too much time meditating, being lazy, or ignoring my chores!   

Years ago when I had roommates, I recall them watch TV, movies, or play videogames for hours on end when they were feeling low.  They witnessed a lot of violent images during those hours!