Author Topic: Anger/Agitation after Meditation  (Read 16705 times)

languedocienne

Anger/Agitation after Meditation
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
Hello, please forgive me if I miss some formalities of the forum, I'm new here and this is my first post :)

I am relatively new to meditation although I have been doing yoga for a number of years. Almost exactly one year ago, I started to practice meditation daily. A day or two after I started, I started noticing that I was more angry than usual and felt agitated/irritable all day. I also started noticing some pain/discomfort in my lower abdomen and started having digestive problems/IBS-type symptoms.

A few days later I had to go to the hospital because I had appendicitis. I had my appendix removed and did not return to meditation after that because I was disturbed about what happened.

This year, I started practicing meditation again and a few days later - the same exact symptoms popped up again! Anger, agitation, digestive/IBS-like symptoms that I haven't seen since I meditated last a year ago.  ???

I wanted to get your opinion about what is going on. Is the meditation unearthing anger I've held back in my subconscious, and if so, is it wise for me to continue practicing or should I stop? How do I deal with these feelings of anger/irritability/uneasiness when they arise? Is it ok for me to meditate everyday or should I take it easy for a while?

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Languedocienne

redalert

Re: Anger/Agitation after Meditation
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:52:45 PM »
Hi Languedocienne,

When most of us begin meditation we generally start with anapanasati(awareness of breath) this meditation relaxes and calms the mind. The mind is usually distracted and preoccupied with other business to pay attention to these underlying traumas. With the removal of these distractions these pshycological traumas "stuff" comes bubbling to the surface and manifests in one form or another. At this point one can switch to another meditation technique to observe this "stuff" or one can carry on with their regular practice. It depends on the level of trauma one is experiencing, this is where a trusting teacher to converse with and guide you becomes very important. I would suggest finding a local teacher to help guide you.

Metta and welcome to the forum.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:55:44 AM »
hello,

it is wise for you to work in the field of samatha more before entering the field of sensations. please go through forum for instructions on samatha.

redalert

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
Samatha is what brings the stuff to the surface, without a practice to observe this stuff we keep repressing it. If the meditator can not for one reason or another observe this stuff then other techniques perhaps with a therapist may work better.

Also, how does one prevent sensations from arising?

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
samatha calms the mind, samatha itself do not bring out the stuff we are repressing. its the vipassana that brings the garbage out.

redalert

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »

garyblackhouse

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
Hey Languedocienne,

For your anger and frustration I'd say this is something that must also be observed, maybe the sensations of pain and discomfort can be directly related to your anger. I'd like to speak with you about your digestive problems, it's a personal topic I know so you can keep it as general as you like or if you'd like to PM me with a response that would be fine, I'd also ask for other members' advice on the issue. I don't mind sharing as it's an open forum and the people here are mature and kind.

I started meditation about 3 months ago. About 6 weeks ago I started to wake in the night with stomach cramps, they're quite painful, there's quite a build up of excrement, as if when sleeping I can't digest my food properly. It's happened 5 or 6 times, but it's happened the last 2 nights in a row. So I wake with the pain, and suddenly I start to digest better, and the stuff eventually runs through me, but I could be up for a while (an hour, two, maybe). It's rather annoying and extremely discomforting. So I'm just wondering if you can relate to these kind of experiences? As you say you had to appendix removed, and I know the appendix can be a terrifying little body part, so I worry. Do others here think this is a side effect of meditation? Or something else? Should I go see a doctor if it persists? My diet is very good and I don't eat food 3-4 hours before I go to sleep. 

Sorry it's a rather icky post, I suppose though that we are animals.

Peace.

Gary

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 04:52:10 AM »
is the pain unbearable for your current state of mind?

if not then your awareness has expanded to the inner workings. the digestive process has a lot of sensations that we normally hate. even the process of excretion. if we learn to be equanimus to these sensations then the process gets done with ease. if we resist to them we not only delay the process but also cause suffering to oneself.

if the pain is unbearable then might be because of some other reason. better take steps that you think will help.

garyblackhouse

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 10:52:43 AM »
is the pain unbearable for your current state of mind?

Unbearable? No. Very painful? Yes. I lay with the knowing it will pass and I will be okay, but that's not to say I haven't wished it would hurry up or that there isn't worry about something like the appendix.

if not then your awareness has expanded to the inner workings. the digestive process has a lot of sensations that we normally hate. even the process of excretion. if we learn to be equanimus to these sensations then the process gets done with ease. if we resist to them we not only delay the process but also cause suffering to oneself.

Y'know, I have been moving inward, and I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Until Lang's post I didn't see the connection between the two. Next time it occurs, (that's if it occurs) I will be more equanimus. If that doesn't work, I'll eat a lesser portion of pasta for dinner, or call a doctor!

Thank you Sid.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »

Unbearable? No. Very painful? Yes. I lay with the knowing it will pass and I will be okay, but that's not to say I haven't wished it would hurry up or that there isn't worry about something like the appendix.

thats ok, it takes time to be equanimus for new sensations and mind always scares you with deadly things so that you can run away from it. like when i feel small chest pains arise and pass off then thoughts like what if its cancer for all the smoking i have done in the pass.... bla bla bla. over the time it will pass as the awareness to that depth becomes everyday thing.

Y'know, I have been moving inward, and I didn't put 2 and 2 together. Until Lang's post I didn't see the connection between the two. Next time it occurs, (that's if it occurs) I will be more equanimus. If that doesn't work, I'll eat a lesser portion of pasta for dinner, or call a doctor!

yah eat less pasta.  ;D it creates a lot of fire element in stomach. at least the once we get in my country does.

garyblackhouse

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
thats ok, it takes time to be equanimus for new sensations and mind always scares you with deadly things so that you can run away from it. like when i feel small chest pains arise and pass off then thoughts like what if its cancer for all the smoking i have done in the pass.... bla bla bla. over the time it will pass as the awareness to that depth becomes everyday thing.

Fascinating. I think in cases like these it would be good to have a teacher, but they're few and far between in my part of the world. It's all very new, suppose I'll have to get used to it. Thanks for your words, if there aren't many teachers it's good to have a forum.

Yes, yes. I like a good spicy tomato sauce with my pasta also!

DarkNightOfNoSoul

• Lots of sharp rocks on this here path
    • Sayagyi U Ba Khin/Goenka, Mahasi Sayadaw
    • Slow learner
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
If that doesn't work, I'll eat a lesser portion of pasta for dinner, or call a doctor!
You're probably just gluten-intolerant!  :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/396653-stomach-pain-after-eating-pasta/

Many people have intolerances for gluten and lactose, as wheat and milk are foods that have only been in the human diet for a relatively short amount of time (a few thousand years), so not everyone has the ability to digest them. Some research suggests 6-7% of the population may be gluten-sensitive, and it has been established that a whopping 70% of the world's population is lactose-intolerant.

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 07:32:32 PM »

Many people have intolerances for gluten and lactose, as wheat and milk are foods that have only been in the human diet for a relatively short amount of time (a few thousand years), so not everyone has the ability to digest them. Some research suggests 6-7% of the population may be gluten-sensitive, and it has been established that a whopping 70% of the world's population is lactose-intolerant.

its data like these that make me question the modern researchers. milk has been in human diet for few thousand years? wheat too? its creepy what all these so called researchers can write if they get paid by multi national corporations. 70% people cant handle milk?
so anyone bought lactose free milk yet?  :D
no offense darknight.

metta

garyblackhouse

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »

Hey Darknight, I guess in some way it could be a possibility. Pasta was more an example than anything else, these pains have come during nights when pasta was not consumed. It's been a common food for me for many years. Wheat bread is also common with me. I don't drink milk and limit my dairy intake. I've never had problems digesting food before, nor have I ever had pains in my abdomen region. My diet has improved much since beginning meditation, it seems logical that as I go to places I've never been before it may be discomforting for a while. Having said that, maybe I should go see a professional doctor anyway. As they say here in Ireland "To be sure to be sure."

DarkNightOfNoSoul

• Slow learner
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 06:16:16 AM »
its data like these that make me question the modern researchers. milk has been in human diet for few thousand years? wheat too? its creepy what all these so called researchers can write if they get paid by multi national corporations. 70% people cant handle milk?
so anyone bought lactose free milk yet?  :D
no offense darknight.
metta
No offence taken siddharthgode! But I'll defend my statement regarding lactose intolerance, as this is quite a well-established fact.

The enzyme lactase allows lactose to be broken down by the digestive system. It is present in all mammals when they are infants, but stops being produced when baby animals are weaned. However, in certain populations of humans, lactase continues to be produced into adulthood. This appears to have come about due to a mutation that has occurred during the last 8,000 years or so. It's well known that during this period, most human populations transitioned from a hunter-gatherer lifestyle to farming crops and domesticating animals. The lactase mutation originally occurred only in northern European populations and some African pastoral tribes who began consuming milk and producing cheese (of course, now it's diffusely spread across the world due to wide global travel). Lactose intolerance can easily be measured by levels of the enzyme lactase; this is how scientists know that a large proportion of the human population is lactose intolerant. So actually, it's "normal" to be lactose intolerant.

In other words, a small proportion of the human species can fully digest milk in adulthood because they were weirdos that continued to consume milk beyond infancy!

When you think about it, isn't it just a little bit odd that grown adults consume the milk of some large, totally unrelated grazing animal? Because of our cultural conditioning, we don't notice this weirdness, so we tend to react to the truth in utter disbelief, as you have!

Re the shadowy "multinational corporations" conspiracy argument, I suppose some producers of soy milk might have the motive to spread mistruths! But milk corporations and cooperatives (for example, Fonterra in New Zealand) are far larger and more powerful, and have a much stronger financial interest in debunking the evidence of widespread lactose intolerance. So this argument can go both ways.

If you're not utterly bored to death with the subject yet, here are some links and a quote from a recent study:

http://www.centerforfoodallergies.com/lactose_intolerance.htm

http://www.coeliac.org.au/coeliac-disease/lactose.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase#Genetic_expression_and_regulation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance
http://www.idausa.org/vegandays/fs/lactose_intolerance.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9299882

In most of the world’s population the ability to digest lactose de-
clines sharply after infancy. High lactose digestion capacity in adults is com-
mon only in populations of European and circum- Mediterranean origin and
is thought to be an evolutionary adaptation to millennia of drinking milk from
domestic livestock.
The physiological cause of high lactose digestion capacity (LDC) in adult-
hood is the retention of high levels of lactase in the small intestine beyond infancy
(lactase persistence), which contrasts with the standard mammalian developmental
pattern of a steep decline in small intestine lactose levels after infancy (Flatz 1987).
The LDC of over 20,000 individuals worldwide has been tested.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:30:06 AM by DarkNightOfNoSoul »

DarkNightOfNoSoul

• Slow learner
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 06:23:03 AM »
Hey Darknight, I guess in some way it could be a possibility. Pasta was more an example than anything else, these pains have come during nights when pasta was not consumed. It's been a common food for me for many years. Wheat bread is also common with me. I don't drink milk and limit my dairy intake. I've never had problems digesting food before, nor have I ever had pains in my abdomen region. My diet has improved much since beginning meditation, it seems logical that as I go to places I've never been before it may be discomforting for a while. Having said that, maybe I should go see a professional doctor anyway. As they say here in Ireland "To be sure to be sure."
Hey Gary, it was just a thought! A lot of people seem to be getting significant health benefits from a wheat- and dairy-free diet, myself included.

Agree that you should see a doc if it continues - probably best not to adopt a Kiwi-style attitude of "she'll be right" and just ignore it!  :)

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »
first thing buddha drank after realizing self mortification isnt the way is milk. that too 2 bowls from sujatha.  :)

its just so hard to believe that human body which can be trained to adopt to any think we can imagine cant get adopted to milk digestion. oh well if research says so then it might be true. atleast in my part of the world no doctor says anything of that and it isnt a problem among the majority.

i think we are all weirdos  :D 

DarkNightOfNoSoul

• Slow learner
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »
i think we are all weirdos  :D
No arguments there!  ???

garyblackhouse

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
Agree that you should see a doc if it continues - probably best not to adopt a Kiwi-style attitude of "she'll be right" and just ignore it!  :)

Will do, thanks for your advice. I think that reaction can be seen around the world! In Ireland we say "It'll be grand." 

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
Interesting discussion. For a few years I've woken up each morning with blocked nostrils, and spent most of my days with a sinus pressure above or below my eyes. Mediation only heightened the problem (sucks meditating with one nostril), so I figured I'd man up and go to the Drs. Her first piece of advice was cutting back on the dairy, I wasn't a large consumer except for Whey Protein and a bit of milk on my cereal. After a few weeks the blocked nostrils had largely gone as had the sinus issues. Makes for a much better practice.

kanoo

• The Relaxation Response, (NSR) Natural stress relief
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 07:56:24 PM »
I have an intolerance to wheat and dairy, often after I eat them I can get mood swings, feel depressed and prone to bouts of irrational anger, stomach pain etc.  Once I drop them out of my diet I fee fine.  Could be worth a try...