Author Topic: Shambhala  (Read 1384 times)

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
Shambhala
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with Shambhala meditation style? There is a center real close to me, but I'm sketchy about going to their drop-in sittings. They have free sittings, but I'm concerned about being duped into joining their organization, which requires monthly dues and tuition fees for dhamma talks. Thanks for your help.
When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Shambhala
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Mpgkona

I lived in a Shambhala retrest centre in France for eighteen months several years ago. The organisation is quite benign and their basic instructions on Shamatha and Vipassana useful. The weekly sits might be useful to you as sitting with others is helpful on the path.

You don't have to get drawn in any further than you might wish. Personally I avoided and probably always will avoid the "higher" tantric practices - I saw with my own eyes the results.

There may be some level of peer pressure to join in but that will depend on the centre (good ones there will be none).

If you know why you are going and draw your own boundaries I see no harm. Use your discernment.

Best regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~