Author Topic: Eye strain while meditating  (Read 2713 times)

Wintermute

Eye strain while meditating
« on: February 24, 2013, 03:28:26 PM »
I have a mechanical problem while sitting, so to speak. During my 10 day retreat I developed a great dependency on my eye to focus my attention on the body part I was scanning. It actually went really well, I could accurately vary the size of the 'spotlight' as well as its direction. Around the 8th day I realized that I was straining the nerves in my left eye. Funny enough, I could only sense this while meditating, otherwise I wasn't sensitive enough. It became a serious irritation I couldn't do much about, I knew I had to change it up.

I kind of relearned my technique and it relies less on my eye now, but for some reason now I can't scan my arms and legs simultaneously. I do still notice my eyes playing a role in focusing, but not as much as before and I can even keep them perfectly still if I don't focus on details, just a general flow of attention. Also, I can nowhere near achieve the same focus as I used to with my old technique.

Is this something I should worry about at all? Are there some exercises that might aid me?

I have a very slight lazy eye on my left eye and my right eye is far more dominant in my daily use.

Thanks for listening!

MrKnowsNothing

• Oh.. It's Me!
    • Calm
Re: Eye strain while meditating
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
Im very new to this but I find that when im in the deepest calmest state I can achieve my eyes, ears, nose become obsolete and my mind is left on its own. I would like to know exactly what your eyes are used for? With my eyes closed I can see nothing  :'(
Meditation, A set of keys for every door.

redalert

Re: Eye strain while meditating
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 09:41:48 PM »

Is this something I should worry about at all? Are there some exercises that might aid me?

I believe this comes down to right concentration, concentration should be effortless. With continuous practice the ability to sense the subtle bodily sensations should improve, to the point where you can feel the entire body as a mass of sub atomic particles (bhanga).

I've heard alot of people say the same thing about their practice, myself included. It seems to be a natural thing to bring our eye awareness to the part of the body we are observing. This generally leads to strain on the eyes and can lead to headaches. For me this passed away with continuous practice, don't worry about this, just relax and observe whatever sensation manifests at this moment, moment to moment, with perfect equiminity.