Author Topic: Visualizing the Body  (Read 2154 times)

Mindfullness

Visualizing the Body
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
Hey there!

I think a form of thinking involves visualizing things. This happens to me in meditation quite often. I often see myself visualizing my body as I try to feel its sensations during meditation. I was wondering how is it I'm supposed to feel my body without visualizing it? I feel like that is completely new for me. Whenever I have tried feeling some part of my body, I always try to visualize that part of the body, as well.

Re: Visualizing the Body
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »
well i had the same doubt at first....
here is my current understanding

what am i trying to do? - study the sensations objectively, i.e., where it is. what is it doing. where is it arising. is it stationary. is it moving....... so on. so to do all this without visualization is not possible. visualization of body can be said as thinking about the present moment.(our aim is not to stop thinking) so it is necessary for the technique. 

redalert

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:21 PM »
Don't worry about this its normal and will drop away naturally. Just keep your awareness on the meditation object (sensations) and when you become aware that you are visualising bring your attention back to the meditation object (sensation). As the mind sharpens this will become effortless. If the mind is dull and wandering do some anapana to sharpen it.

Mindfullness

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies...I guess I am unsure if visualizing the body is a form of thinking....and I know during meditation we are supposed to move away from thinking.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 10:47:37 AM »
and I know during meditation we are supposed to move away from thinking

then its not vipassana.. its some other form of meditation. we are not supposed to move away from anything... we have to observe and let go of everything. if it stops arising after a certain point during practice then thats a different matter, then we accept it and continue with practice.
if we constantly try to stop the arising of thoughts we are just feeding it with sanghara and it will grow big because of it. nothing will be solved.

my view  :)

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
ohh yah thinking and getting caught in thinking and going in the flow are two different things... i think you are having trouble differentiating them.

redalert

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »
I guess I am unsure if visualizing the body is a form of thinking....and I know during meditation we are supposed to move away from thinking.

visualisation is a form of thinking, everything is a form of thinking.

As siddharthgode said, we are to move away from attatchment to thinking, thinking this thinking is me, myself, I.

Mindfullness

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 03:01:36 PM »
ohh yah thinking and getting caught in thinking and going in the flow are two different things... i think you are having trouble differentiating them.

Wait, I was under the impression that when we have a thought, we are supposed to let it go, and move our attention to the sensations on the body(this is according to the directions Matthew has put on the homepage)? Are we only supposed to do that if we are lost in the thought?

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
'let it go' and 'avoiding' are two different things. letting it go means remove the attachment from the process. but if we develop abortion when coming out of thought then it is the wrong way.
i would suggest to learn how the thought trail begins. it has all the answers. it begins with the attachment to the thought i.e., its my thought. then the link begins.
it might be hard at first, be patient. never give up.

(i usually feel very sleepy if i do this exercise. i think learning to sleep and solving this problem go hand in hand) - just a opinion, might not be true.  ;D