Author Topic: Celibacy  (Read 4298 times)

GiantRumblebuffin

Celibacy
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:18:51 PM »
I am currently single.

Before I started practicing seriously, I had sexual activity pretty much every day

I thought it was impossible to live without it.

Now, nearing on 2 years of practice, I have developed the self control to go 2-4 weeks at a time with no sexual activity at all.

When I am abstinant I feel a more "solid" energy and I find it easier to concentrate.

After sexual activity I find concentration a little difficult for 2 hours or so but I'm soon back to normal.

It's really hard to tell if it effects the strength of my meditation or not. My instinct is that I tend to go deeper in meditation if I am celibate but how this actually works I don't know.

Is my meditation strong after 24 hours of abstinence? Is it even stronger after 2 weeks or the same?

Is celibacy even necessary. Like I said, 24 hours and I feel back to normal again.

Obviously, we need to cultivate a balanced mind and we don't want to be encouraging lustful thoughts as they disturb harmony... but at what point does the practice of celibacy become a form of self harm?

Is it possible that to knock one off every now and then or sleep with a good friend could promote more peace and harmony then staying celibate would do?

What are your thouhts on this?

Irfan

Re: Celibacy
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »
Hmmm. I have a slightly conflicted attitude towards celibacy. I live in Jakarta, which is fairly notorious for relaxed attitudes towards casual sex. After doing my last 10 day residential course, I found myself not wanting to engage in casual sex anymore, but still not having a regular partner and feeling a bit lonely about it. I'm not making any irrevocable vows about it, but its become clear hard partying is not what I want to do anymore.

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:06 AM »
What Eckhart Tolle has to say about celibacy, makes perfect sense. You may want to check it out:

Part 1: Eckhart Tolle Sexuality and Celibacy part 1
Part 2: Eckhart Tolle Sexuality and Celibacy part 2
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

GiantRumblebuffin

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »
thanks for the videos, very helpful!