Author Topic: Audio Guided Meditations - Post Here  (Read 12102 times)

MountainKing

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka/Experimental
Audio Guided Meditations - Post Here
« on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
I was wondering if one thread here could be a devoted repository of good audio guidance clips.

I found a good 'metta' clip here.

http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22

Another good set I use
http://eiriu-eolas.org/online-version/

During the Goenka retreat, the audio guidance was helpful. Sometimes i wish there was an audio guide for Vipassana. Are any of you aware of some good stuff?

Masauwu

• chipping away
Re: Audio Guided Meditations - Post Here
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:59:32 AM »
Guided meditations:
Audio Dharma
Ayya Khema
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Mpgkona

• Some of this, some of that.
    • Here
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »
Here is a link to some of the Goenka meditations:

http://audio.server.dhamma.org/audio/gs/gs.htm

They can also be accessed through the "Pariyatti" website. I would only recommend these for people who have taken a Goenka course, however.

The following link is to a one hour guided meditation with very little silence, and a lot of direction and/or "advice." It's very helpful when you are meditating and might be sleepy, since you're not in complete silence.

http://audio.server.dhamma.org/audio/gs/GS02%20-%20Dhamma%20Sikhara,%20McLeod%20Ganj.mp3

When you change the way you look at things the things you look at change.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »
This stuff is best in "The Library" ... http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/board,7.0.html

There is even a dedicated Goenka section .. despite my aversion to him I wouldn't deny others' wishes!

Forgive me if I have misunderstood some subtle difference in topic.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Sylvia1982

• goenka jee
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
Hi Matthew,

Why are you aversed towards Goenkajee other than the weight

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Hi Matthew,

Why are you aversed towards Goenkajee other than the weight

please dont start off with another negative discussion.
and @matthew: since you are considered senior most meditator here everyone gets excited and want to know more when u say ' i hate goenka method'. please try to avoid negative posts.  ;D

Sylvia1982

• goenka jee
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
Believe me.. that was not intended in a negative way..

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
@Sylvia .. I didn't reply for not wishing to start yet another discussion on the subject .. if you search through some old threads you'll find it.

@ Siddhartgode  ... see above :)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Mpgkona

• Here
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:45 AM »
@Matthew: I'm sorry to rehash an old thread. I tried to dig up the thread about Goenka, but was not successful. So, I'll be quick. Does your aversion toward him have to do with the technique he teaches, or the way in which he claims his technique can be traced all the way back to the historical Buddha, or does it have to do with his claim that only his technique can lead to true wisdom and enlightment? Or all of the above? Or something else? I'm just interested because his technique is the only one I have practiced. If you have a link to those discussions I would be thankful. And believe me, I have some issues with him as we'll, although I practice his technique. Thanks, and again, sorry to bring to life a dead thread.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:21:46 AM »
well let me ask you one think. how will other's opinion on the technique you are practicing will help you?  if he doesnt like it its his path. dont watch others path n walk, you will fall.
if you find something you dont like in the technique try others and then decide.

@matthew : see how much curiosity your one sentence creates.  ???  :D

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
@Matthew: I'm sorry to rehash an old thread. I tried to dig up the thread about Goenka, but was not successful. So, I'll be quick. Does your aversion toward him have to do with the technique he teaches, or the way in which he claims his technique can be traced all the way back to the historical Buddha, or does it have to do with his claim that only his technique can lead to true wisdom and enlightment? Or all of the above? Or something else? I'm just interested because his technique is the only one I have practiced. If you have a link to those discussions I would be thankful. And believe me, I have some issues with him as we'll, although I practice his technique. Thanks, and again, sorry to bring to life a dead thread.

Hi Mpgkona,

I think Matthew was referring to some old threads.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:48:42 AM by Matthew »

Irfan

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:34 AM »
Seems to be a broken link. I must say, I don't really enjoy the "Goenka bashing" that goes along here. I deliberately chose to join this forum because it DOESN'T specifically focus on the Goenka school, even though I've done several of the residential courses and appreciated them, because I'd like to hear the opinions and ideas of people from other schools. Even so, I think some mutual respect for the ideas of others is important. I did a search to try to get to the bottom of it, but I never came up with much substantive, just people challenging each other to stick their head in an oven and comments about poor old Goenka's bulging belly. Oh, and something about the nostrils being an inappropriate focus point for annapana meditation. (I seriously don't get that point! What's wrong with nostrils??!).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:49:14 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
I must say, I don't really enjoy the "Goenka bashing" that goes along here.

Nor I which is why the section in the library exists and why I posted this:

There is even a dedicated Goenka section .. despite my aversion to him I wouldn't deny others' wishes!

Oh, and something about the nostrils being an inappropriate focus point for annapana meditation. (I seriously don't get that point! What's wrong with nostrils??!).

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,638.msg4992.html#msg4992

http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,766.msg7049.html#msg7049

Kind regards,

Matthew

ps. The audio links in this thread will be moved to the sections in the library soon.

MountainKing

• Goenka/Experimental
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
My suspicions have been proved right. I found concentrating on my stomach/diaphragm/lung area much more convenient than nostrils. During Anapana, my awareness was constantly shifting from my nostrils to the subtle movements of my torso.

Thank you so much, Irfan and Matthew.

MountainKing

• Goenka/Experimental
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
I think I'm going to change my meditation style from Goenka/Experimental to DIY, as Matthew's description appropriately says. I added experimental for a reason, I think it is time to remove Goenka.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
This is the key bit:

The Buddha taught:

Quote from: www.accesstoinsight.org
"There is the case where an aspirant -- having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building -- sits down cross-legged, holding the body erect and setting her (4) awareness before her. Always aware, one breathes in; aware one breathes out aware.

"Breathing in long, one discerns that one is breathing in long; or breathing out long, one discerns that one is breathing out long. Or breathing in short, one discerns that one is breathing in short; or breathing out short, one discerns that one is breathing out short. One trains himself to breathe in sensitive to the entire body and to breathe out sensitive to the entire body. One trains herself to breathe in calming the entire body and to breathe out calming the entire body.
"

So according to the Buddha the focus of meditation is the entire breathing experience and body, not the nostrils. And the prime first goals are awareness or sensitivity to the entire body and relaxation or calming.

This is important because when one is meditating in this way, as opposed to nostril-focussed Anapana, one is using/activating many other nerves and neurological systems - particularly the Vagus, or 10th Cranial nerve, "The Wanderer" - so called because it wanders down the neck, into the chest and abdomen and controls and senses the larynx, other parts of the speech and hearing apparatus and senses the visceral muscles of the chest, trunk and abdomen including the diaphragm and the organs including your heart (though control of the diaphragm is principally by the Phrenic nerve and the heart by the Cardiac nerve, you also want these fully activated).

The Vagus nerve amongst other things is responsible for:

Quote from: Yale School Of Medicine
Provides visceral sensory information from the larynx, esophagus, trachea, and abdominal and thoracic viscera, as well as the stretch receptors of the aortic arch and chemoreceptors of the aortic bodies .

Thus by focussing on the entire breathing process in the body one is activating many more nerves - particularly the Vagus, a very important nerve to have properly activated, and is actively reconnecting body (through the Vagus and other nerves) and mind (through awareness).

Anapana (focussing on the nostrils or area between lips and nostrils) or any other kind of breath meditation can be too forced, too aimed at achieving concentration and still mind. Anapana at the nostrils can heighten this imbalance due to the fact that most westerners live in their heads to a large degree.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 02:54:28 PM »
well if one works on goenka method he  will know when to stop the aanapaana and dive directly into vipassana and full body awareness. if you are focused more on anapanna than on vipassana, you have not understood the method at all....
just my view.

Mpgkona

• Here
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
Thank you Matthew!

Siddarthgode: I'm not trying to walk someone elses path at all. I'm simply exploring peoples ideas and opinions about Goenka's methods and techniques. Since it is the only type of retreat I have gone on, and the only technique I have learned i'm just trying to get a sense of what is out there. Going on the retreats is a big personal and family sacrifice that I have thankfully been able to make. If I had the time and inevitably money, I would absolutely explore and learn other methods of meditation. I came onto this forum to explore what else is out there. I enjoy Goenka's method and it works for me at the moment. Maybe in the future it wont and I'll be able to diversify. I know your intentions are well served, but I don't like the fact that people on this board seemingly judge other techniques that they dont practice, which creates a quasi sectarian attitude to "their" method. Goenka specifically warned against sects of meditation techniques. In an interview that I cant find anymore he once said that in 100 years or so, and to his chagrin, his technique will probably become a sectarian religion. He himself says that if his technique does not work for you then do something else.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 06:33:17 PM »
well if one works on goenka method he  will know when to stop the aanapaana and dive directly into vipassana and full body awareness. if you are focused more on anapanna than on vipassana, you have not understood the method at all....
just my view.

Vipassana, like Shamatha is a fruit of meditation not a practice. If you think Vipassana is a practice you have been mislead. The Buddha mentions Jhana (another fruit of meditation and the gate to insight or Vipassana) numerous times in the Sutta's, he mentions Vipassana rarely.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 06:48:52 PM »
I'm not trying to walk someone elses path at all.
how can any one walk someone elses path.

I'm simply exploring peoples ideas and opinions about Goenka's methods and techniques.
so you are judging the technique using your results from the technique or from the quality of the followers? i am worried here, i m feeling you are letting second one affect you. get it?
has it not shown results? if yes, why does it matter whats people's opinion? ask for details of others techniques and what are there benefits over the present practice, instead of finding mistakes in the present. 

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
Vipassana, like Shamatha is a fruit of meditation not a practice. If you think Vipassana is a practice you have been mislead. The Buddha mentions Jhana (another fruit of meditation and the gate to insight or Vipassana) numerous times in the Sutta's, he mentions Vipassana rarely.

hehe k, got it. but then what is this that i am practicing, being aware of bodily sensations ? what is it called? if not vipassana.

Mpgkona

• Here
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »
I'm not looking for faults in Goenka's methods. Just looking at others' opinions. Forgive me for being curious. This forum is obviously not the place for me than.good luck on the path everyone.

Irfan

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 12:28:25 AM »
Vipassana, like Shamatha is a fruit of meditation not a practice. If you think Vipassana is a practice you have been mislead.

Matthew, I've heard you say that mindfulness is a fruit of meditation not a practice before. I read something in Bhante Gunaratana's "Mindfulness in Plain English" that I quite liked:

Mindfulness is the center of vipassana meditation and the key to the whole process. It is both the goal of this meditation and the means to that end. You reach mindfulness by being ever more mindful.

So, in his view, both a fruit and a practice.

Irfan

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »
Quote from: www.accesstoinsight.org
"There is the case where an aspirant -- having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building -- sits down cross-legged, holding the body erect and setting her (4) awareness before her. Always aware, one breathes in; aware one breathes out aware.

"Breathing in long, one discerns that one is breathing in long; or breathing out long, one discerns that one is breathing out long. Or breathing in short, one discerns that one is breathing in short; or breathing out short, one discerns that one is breathing out short. One trains himself to breathe in sensitive to the entire body and to breathe out sensitive to the entire body. One trains herself to breathe in calming the entire body and to breathe out calming the entire body."

Yes, that's good. But -- old Goenka school graduate that I am -- I usually start by concentrating on the space below the nostrils, then do body scanning, then allow myself to be aware of my entire body and my breath at the same time. No, that's not quite true: I begin just by sitting, without any attempt to concentrate OR to relax, just allowing my thoughts to wander, but checking where they go, noting my mood and frame of mind and physical state of being. Then I start to concentrate.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:05 AM »
I'm not looking for faults in Goenka's methods. Just looking at others' opinions. Forgive me for being curious. This forum is obviously not the place for me than.good luck on the path everyone.

if you are leaving because i sounded harsh and bad, then i am really sorry. i didnt mean it. dont leave for my stupidity.

if you are here, in forum just to know people's opinion on goenka's method then you might not get many. then its your wish to stay and explore other things or leave.