Author Topic: Two problems - eye pain and heavy awareness  (Read 2579 times)

charlemagne

Two problems - eye pain and heavy awareness
« on: December 22, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »
Hi. I am new to the board. I posted an introduction in the "New members...." section if you'd like to get to know me a bit more.

For now, though, I have two problems which have, well, not exactly plagued me, but made for choppier waters than otherwise.

1. When I focus awareness on a part of my body - say, the upper lip, my navel, etc. - my eyes follow. This only occurs when they are closed. If I concentrate, then I can forestall it, but this of course detracts from the mindfulness of the intended target. If I let the eyes follow, they fatigue and ache after a few minutes. I am sure that the problem will resolve itself eventually, but the sooner the better, right? Any tips?

2. During my course, the idea of letting thought arise and fall from the mind was frequently repeated. When I try this, though, the thought itself freezes like a deer in headlights. It loses its spontaneous character when I become mindful of it. Any tips?

Thanks!

redalert

Re: Two problems - eye pain and heavy awareness
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:44 PM »
I know exactly what your talking about with the eyes following your object of meditation.

I believe that because most of the sense doors are located on the head we have become accustomed to feel that mind awareness is located in the head and thus when we want to fix our attention on the navel area we have a tendency to want to move our eyes to this area, alot of people do this in the beginning totally normal and this will pass away naturally.

Mind is located in the smallest sub-atomic particle, we just need to realize this on an experiencial level, in the beginning we don't know what to look for so we are not relaxed we strain to concentrate, with steady practice concentration will become more effortless.

Thoughts are of the past or future, our goal in meditation is to remain present, the mind is not used to this its developed a bad habit of clinging to thoughts and thus spends the bulk of time thinking about the past or thinking about the future. when meditating, when you realize that you have clung to a thought and gotten caught up in a string of them simply bring your attention back to the object.
You can't try to let thoughts pass away you can only simply observe this phenomenon effortlessly.

My teacher says our awareness is weak our reaction is strong the scales are out of balance, we must strengthen are awareness.

Keep at it :)

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
the basis of samatha and vipassana
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Hello charlemagne,

Maybe I should not react, as I have no clue what you could do.
But I take the liberty to ask you a few clarifications.

Introducing yourself on the forum, you mention "prospective memory". Wikipedia tells me, that prospective memory is the thing that helps you to put the cap back on after brushing your teeth. But I think that you mean something very different. Is that so? (I expect that you mean something like looking-into-the-future.)
Also you mention: "studying non-verbal communication by consciously controlling them in myself". I see communication as something that happens between two or more people. You seem to indicate that one person can be in control of the whole situation. Is that indeed what you mean by "controlling"?
And finally, you mention "looking closely at the environment for aberrations which might cue me into a lucid dream". That seems to indicate, that you can go into a lucid dream while being awake. Can you do that indeed? Or is it so that you want to visit places in the outside world, once your body will be in bed and sound asleep?

Well, that is quite a lot to ask. And in fact, it is off-topic. I do not answer your questions at all. Of course you are free not to react to me at all. (I will not feel offended. In fact I am a bit rude myself, asking so much.)

At any rate, if others want to react, I want them to look and see if they really understand the situation that you are in. A reaction that seems right but does not fit the situation would not be helpful.

So, Matt, I hope you will have a good time here.

charlemagne

Re: the basis of samatha and vipassana
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Hi there. No offense taken. The wikipedia entry refers to my interest quite well. The reason I am interested in it is for the purpose of training the mind for lucid dreaming - remembering to do reality checks and such. I do not dream while awake, though I occasionally do feel that disoriented while trying to live in China (without knowing much of the language). I try to focus on strangeness in the waking world such that it strikes me as odd in the dream world. This should help me become lucid. As for nonverbal communication, I am only trying to control those aspects of communication which originate in me, namely my proximity to a person, my posture, duration of eye contact, and other things that I have not previously been very mindful of.

Thanks for asking. I too often assume that my interests are the interests of others.

Hello charlemagne,

Maybe I should not react, as I have no clue what you could do.
But I take the liberty to ask you a few clarifications.

Introducing yourself on the forum, you mention "prospective memory". Wikipedia tells me, that prospective memory is the thing that helps you to put the cap back on after brushing your teeth. But I think that you mean something very different. Is that so? (I expect that you mean something like looking-into-the-future.)
Also you mention: "studying non-verbal communication by consciously controlling them in myself". I see communication as something that happens between two or more people. You seem to indicate that one person can be in control of the whole situation. Is that indeed what you mean by "controlling"?
And finally, you mention "looking closely at the environment for aberrations which might cue me into a lucid dream". That seems to indicate, that you can go into a lucid dream while being awake. Can you do that indeed? Or is it so that you want to visit places in the outside world, once your body will be in bed and sound asleep?

Well, that is quite a lot to ask. And in fact, it is off-topic. I do not answer your questions at all. Of course you are free not to react to me at all. (I will not feel offended. In fact I am a bit rude myself, asking so much.)

At any rate, if others want to react, I want them to look and see if they really understand the situation that you are in. A reaction that seems right but does not fit the situation would not be helpful.

So, Matt, I hope you will have a good time here.

charlemagne

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
Thanks redalert. I know it boils down to practicing, relaxing, observing. I will persist!

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: Two problems - eye pain
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 01:06:57 PM »
Thank you for your explanations. I am glad that you take no offence.
Two practical things of focussing on body parts:
What I sometimes do - for instance with the neck or the feet - is to move them just a little bit. Using the muscles will help get a sense of being-there in the body part. (It is called kinesthesia.)
An other thing to help being presence in the body part (and not in the eyes) is to put a hand on the body part and from the body part sense the warmth of the hand, and the light touch of the hand. One can sense the difference between the hand sensing the body part, and the body part sensing the hand.

redalert

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Thanks redalert. I know it boils down to practicing, relaxing, observing. I will persist!

And you will be successful! :)