Author Topic: Cant Slow Down My Busy Brain :-(  (Read 2588 times)

synergetics

Cant Slow Down My Busy Brain :-(
« on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:06 AM »
I have been meditating for a little over two years now and I have had many positive results. Recently I had a career change and now I am on a soul searching journey to see what my next calling is, professionally. After being in the same business for 17 years and being an owner of my own start up business for the past seven years, this is a pretty dramatic change for me. Being the only financial provider with 3 children and one on the way, I have some pressure to make things happen. Lately I have procrastinating to the point of putting my meditations aside to attend to my busy brain, if I tried I cant even sit for five seconds before I getting up and feeling like I have to start my day. My day consists of working on a few websites I started and pondering where my next dollar will be coming from. I know this is a lot but I feel that since I cannot focus for five seconds on anything but the thought of trying to start up another career I am losing touch of what I had. I am very confused and lost right now.  :-[
Jesse

Masauwu

• chipping away
Re: Cant Slow Down My Busy Brain :-(
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
Hi Jesse,

Periods of anxiety can indeed add a lot of strain to an already hyperactive mind. I found that anapanasati is an excellent medicine for this; even one sit of 15-20 minutes in the morning done daily can be very helpful. Many times i`ve interrupted sitting for weeks or months at a time due to procrastionation, stress, restlessness, boredom etc. and i looked for a solution and in the end all i could figure out was: you just do it. Don`t feel like sitting due to restlessness or anxiety? Do it anyway. Maybe you can summon some motivation to give you an extra impulse (random example: right now there are people starving to death in the world, and people being tortured in concentration camps - and i can`t sit and train my mind for 15 minutes?).

It helps to "follow the breath" when you practice anapanasati - make it your mission to observe each part of the cycle: the moment the inbreath starts, the actual inbreath, the moment it stops, the pause, the moment the outbreath starts, the outbreath, the moment it stops, the pause... This keeps the mind more engaged with the object of meditation and lowers the chances of it chasing random thoughts.
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:23:08 AM »
Sounds like you’re trying to cover a lot of bases at once Jesse, with the extra bonus of a bit of financial pressure. This used to be a big problem for me, while sitting I’d remind myself of bills to pay, or maybe a great idea I should enact, or something I’d forgotten, or a fear for the future. It would really overtake my practice, compounded by the feeling of failure I felt from letting myself get so distracted.

My advice would be to keep practising Anapanasati, over time you should be able to hone your skill of just noting all the plans and thoughts in your head, instead of running with them and letting them sit at the forefront of your mind. This should also cross over into how you handle all the various factors in your day to day business. This is of course much easier to say than it is to enact, as Masauwu alludes, you've just got to take the bull by the horns and power through it. Patience and perseverance is the key.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:25:39 AM by Dharmic Tui »

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »

Thoughts are like ants ... just let them run. Don't pick them up one by one, don't try to fraternise, don't fight them. Equanimity ...

Practical aspect: If you need to get up and start the day, then don't try to interfere with forced meditation. Sit in the evening instead.

anicca

synergetics

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
Thank you all for your insight. I am finding your responses very helpful, it's feels good to belong somewhere, I normally do not feel that I belong many places in my daily life.

Tref

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:45:39 AM »
Thanks from me too. I haven't logged in in months, and came here because I too am living a window of anxiety and was having trouble with my practice. The first post I read talks about what I needed :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
Hello Synergentics,

Your problems are not uncommon. Masauwu and Dharmic Tui both give good advice. My motto is keep it simple. My advice to you is this:

Sit every morning for ten minutes a day as described below (if you have not yet got a helpful routine going).

This will soon make your relationships better and work more efficient. It will give you time.

Split that time between more practice and relationships, then work.

Sitting practice is easy:

Sit upright and comfortably in a quiet place. Put your attention on the physical sensations of your body as you breathe in and breathe out. Feel the movement of the bones sinews and muscles in your body as you breathe in and feel the movement of the bones sinews and muscles in your body  in your body as you breathe out.

When thoughts occur just let them be and relax. If you realise you spent a long time thinking then smile and remember (be mindful) that you are trying to relax bodymind (body and mind in unison) through anchoring attention of the mind solely on the physical sensations of the muscles, bones and sinews as you breathe in and as you breathe out. Put the attention on the physical sensations of the muscles, bones and sinews as you breathe in and as you breathe out.

Just do it every day.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~