Author Topic: Meditation and self exploration method  (Read 2708 times)

lokariototal

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Meditation and self exploration method
« on: December 05, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »
Do you think that thinking about a subject that you want to explore and then meditating about it is the way to explore  the subject?

For example,

If I want to explore my relationship with my mother, do you think I should visualize her in my mind, or think about her, and then see what happens when I meditate? Or If I want to explore how I feel about my work, do you think that thinking about my work and then meditating, or using something that evokes feelings about my work and then meditate about it can help?

I think perhaps a picture might work as well...

If I look at a picture about my childhood and then meditate about it, perhaps memories and thoughts about my childhood would arise, and I could explore them.

Do you think an approach like this can work?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Meditation and self exploration method
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
Someone more educated in this than me can probably offer better advice, but one of the points of meditation and the path are to move away from dwelling on the past, not focussing on it.

What is it exactly you are trying to achieve?

CameronJ

• Sitting meditation, Hatha Yoga, also involved with Shambhala Meditation Community
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 12:24:04 AM »
lokariototal,

Good question. That's exactly how it works with me, for what it's worth. When I'm looking for insight into something, it's usually sufficient to form the intention of wanting to learn about it and identify what I already know and what I don't know. This could involve visualization as you say.

Beyond that, be careful not to dwell on it as the other poster suggests. Simply forget about it and meditate and live in meditation, and insight will come naturally in its own time. I think it's a lot like trying to remember a word. The harder we try, the more unsuccessful we are. If, instead, we just relax our mind and allow it to be clear, we'll have better access to memories and will be more likely to remember.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
it sounds more like a pschedelics to  me. not meditation.  ;)

meditation is never about past.

CameronJ

• Sitting meditation, Hatha Yoga, also involved with Shambhala Meditation Community
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
If you're gaining insight just to toy with ideas, that's one thing. But, choosing to explore and come to terms with something about your past that's unsettling can be done in conjunction with meditation. If something vague about the past or about a current relationship is preoccupying but leaving it alone seems unacceptable, sometimes a meditation practice is better served in the long run by exploring it so that you can bring closure to it and be more at peace in the present.

redalert

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 11:49:20 AM »
If you're gaining insight just to toy with ideas, that's one thing. But, choosing to explore and come to terms with something about your past that's unsettling can be done in conjunction with meditation. If something vague about the past or about a current relationship is preoccupying but leaving it alone seems unacceptable, sometimes a meditation practice is better served in the long run by exploring it so that you can bring closure to it and be more at peace in the present.

I don't thing loka is gaining insight by exploring past memories or traumas, I would not even call this meditating. This seems like fantasising.
Bring your awareness to the object of meditation ie; breath, bodily sensations etc.... and simply observe this object. The mind will constantly want to run away from the present moment, and get distracted by thought(past and future), when this happens simply bring the awareness back to the object and start again. With persistent practice we will strengthen our awareness and sharpen our mind penetrating ever closer to the ultimate reality.

As Cameron J suggested, at times a particularly nasty mental formation comes to the surface and we can't help but explore it. This is unavoidable but we do need to train ouselves to simply remain equanimous and just obseve without judgement, this is how the root of this particular mental formation will be cut and dissolve away. Only then will you experience liberation from that particular defilement.

Loka, when you meditate the object of meditation should be one free from craving, do not try and explore your mother, just observe whatever comes up and see its impermanent nature of arising only to pass away and remain equanimous to this process.

Be happy :)

DL

• 39 y , male , serious in vipassana
    • did Goenka course, reading Shinzen Young mateyal.
    • יהודי,ציוני,חילוני,רווק,אתאיסט
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »
Do you think that thinking about a subject that you want to explore and then meditating about it is the way to explore  the subject?

For example,

If I want to explore my relationship with my mother, do you think I should visualize her in my mind, or think about her, and then see what happens when I meditate? Or If I want to explore how I feel about my work, do you think that thinking about my work and then meditating, or using something that evokes feelings about my work and then meditate about it can help?

I think perhaps a picture might work as well...

If I look at a picture about my childhood and then meditate about it, perhaps memories and thoughts about my childhood would arise, and I could explore them.

Do you think an approach like this can work?

i am doing this
i find it benificial

but i observe only on the parts that respond to the picture/memeory.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
Hello Lokariototal,

Sometimes I do as you tell us. It helps me to get clarity or to bring rest and ease to a subject.
I call this "meditating on something", just like one can ponder on a subject or make a drawing with a certain situation or person in mind.

I only do it sometimes. The basis for meditation should be relaxation and having an open mind. For that, it helps to have something neutral as an object of concentration, like the breath, or a natural stone.

Also when I want to meditate on something, I make sure beforehand, that the thing is not very important for me. If it is, it might have the power to put me off balance. (Like when I am really fascinated, it might give me a psychedelic ride, and I do not want that.) So then I go back to the basis of vipassana meditation: Relax, concentrate on the breath (or on my physical body).

If the meditator has grown the strength to meet with past trauma, then the trauma will make itself felt and will dissolve in its own way. There is no need to go for the difficult things. Certainly not without a guide or teacher who is experienced in these matters.

Well, this is not very different from what the others said, I suppose.