Author Topic: How to do Vipassana regularly for a long/appropriate time  (Read 3036 times)

How to do Vipassana regularly for a long/appropriate time
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »

After the 10 day training course, I did Vipassana around 30 - 45 minutes per day... then it decreased to 15-25 minutes per day. I went to 3 day course, did around 50-60 minutes for one week, excused not to do for 2-3 days and then again fell back on a lower duration. Some thoughts come to my head, "enough for today"... wanders and then becomes enough and then I stop doing it.

My learning is that to be consistent, you should try to do at the same time, same duration or increase and try to go for one day meditation every weekend if possible together in a group.

Please let us know some advices that will help one do for a longer time.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: How to do Vipassana regularly for a long/appropriate time
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 10:17:01 PM »
Same time or times every day is very useful. Make it part of your routine: Morning: wake, get up, stretch, shower, sit; Evening: dinner, watch a bit of tv, sit, relax, bed. Something like that. Working meditation into your routine so it is like cleaning your teeth, part of the daily routine.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 12:25:46 AM »
Same time or times every day is very useful. Make it part of your routine: Morning: wake, get up, stretch, shower, sit; Evening: dinner, watch a bit of tv, sit, relax, bed. Something like that. Working meditation into your routine so it is like cleaning your teeth, part of the daily routine.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
Same here... I believe meditation should be like an hygiene routine...
I even wonder if one day, many day's from now, people will actually need to meditate as they need to sleep.

qltwmn

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:17:56 AM »
I too am new,and struggleing to maintain practice. One of my greatest obstacles to sitting, is guilt about not sitting.  It helps that I allow myself to sit for only a short time. A couple of short sessions like this seem to help me get back into a routine.

Of course as a working single mom, routine is not a part of my vocabulary, which probably doesn't help me much.  I do try to find a little time in the morning. I have also found that I can now grab about 30 mins. some days when I first get home from work.  It serves a dual purpose, it helps me transition, and centers me for the evening with my teenagers!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »
I too am new,and struggleing to maintain practice. One of my greatest obstacles to sitting, is guilt about not sitting.  It helps that I allow myself to sit for only a short time. A couple of short sessions like this seem to help me get back into a routine.

Of course as a working single mom, routine is not a part of my vocabulary, which probably doesn't help me much.  I do try to find a little time in the morning. I have also found that I can now grab about 30 mins. some days when I first get home from work.  It serves a dual purpose, it helps me transition, and centers me for the evening with my teenagers!

Guilt about not sitting is you habitually criticising yourself. You probably do this in any number of ways. We are raised in the west to criticise ourselves - our upbringing teaches us that we are not OK just as we are and we quickly take this onboard such that it becomes a deeply ingrained subconscious part of who we are.

You are right to try and find creative ways to get meditation into your routine. Getting  up ten minutes earlier would also give ten minutes to sit in the morning. I also wonder if, as a working single mum, you could use meditation and the routines you start to form around that practice to help get the rest of your life into a more routine pattern.

This would help your practice and your life in many ways. Many single mums I know are fighting against the multiple demands placed on them by the complexities and unforgiving nature of the situation they find themselves in. Yet in meditation there is no complexity and no fight. It could start to form the basis of much greater changes in your life if you can achieve a continued integration and deepening of practice into your life.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:58:31 AM »
I don't know if this is suitable for you, but... at night try and make schedule for the next day each day. Try including in each session a regular amount of time to meditate.

If you walk (during your day) try walking mindfully...

frepi

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 05:17:14 PM »
Same problem here, I feel guilty for not meditating but stay in front of tv on pc instead of sitting. It seems I want to daydream about meditation instead of doing it for real. I need to meditate on this...