Author Topic: abdominal (diaphragmatic) breathing  (Read 2422 times)

jallen

abdominal (diaphragmatic) breathing
« on: November 21, 2012, 07:07:26 PM »
is it safe to breathe this way all the time? your diaphragm pushing down -  it feels great but it is a little unsettling to have my insides move about!

be well
jared

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: abdominal (diaphragmatic) breathing
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
There are a lot of different ideas on how to breath.
When you first learn a certain way, it might feel funny. There is nothing wrong in using the diaphragm and belly when breathing.
Personally I would not do any type of conscious breathing all of the time. The natural breath tends to reflect what is going on in someone - in the emotions, the mind, the spirit. So, if you do a certain type of breathing all of the time, you miss this channel for the unconscious mind to express itself. It is good as training, but I would not do it all of the time. (Just like one does not train muscles all of the time.)
Vipassana is very much about awareness and allowing things to be as they are. The allowance and the awareness will have a transforming effect.

DarkNightOfNoSoul

• Lots of sharp rocks on this here path
    • Sayagyi U Ba Khin/Goenka, Mahasi Sayadaw
    • Slow learner
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
I've heard quite often that diaphragmatic breathing is the way we should be breathing all the time. For example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/wellbeing/5901075/Why-do-so-few-of-us-know-how-to-breathe-properly.html

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:45:58 PM »
I must agree with Dark Night. I have repeatedly heard from conventional as well as modern sources that belly breathing is the correct way. I did not use to breath this way all the time, few years back I started practicing Pranayama exercises and thereby my breathing pattern changed permanently. My digestion has improved tremendously after that.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »
Maybe I was not clear enough. I agree that belly breathing is healthy. My point was more from a concern about controlling something all the time.
Elsewhere, Jared, you spoke of certain techniques that you "used to control exactly what you thought, mostly to interrupt anger, anxiety, or depression". Conscious breathing is also a powerful tool to control anger and anxiety. (I do not know about depression and breathing.) But there is something tricky about being-in-control-all-the-time.
One also wants to learn trust.
Of course it is so, that having more or better tools to deal with unpleasant things can enhance confidence and strengthen trust.
Maybe I am in a mood to warn people. I found that more often in the last six weeks. So maybe I am concerned about nothing, or something totally different that I am not yet aware of.
At any rate, I hope to have made myself more clear now.  :)

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
I agree with Quardamon, be careful with trying to control your breath. Relax your abdomen and observe your body finding its proper depth and frequency of breathing. This may vary depending on the situation, maybe you just went up the stairs so you will naturally inhale and exhale faster.
The danger of trying to control relaxed breathing is that you will (probably) inhale and exhale deeply. This can actually cause hyperventilation (too low CO2 levels in your blood). Personally, my normal relaxed breath is quite shallow. Just trust your body :)