Author Topic: How to treat addiction with mindulness?  (Read 2135 times)

lokariototal

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
How to treat addiction with mindulness?
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
Hello guys..

How do you treat addiction with mindfulness?

In my case, I have a lot of "tics" that I feel I have to do, impulses that I do with my body that I just do. For instance I have this weird tic where I feel the need to bite my lips. I also feel the urge to eat my nails all the time. Stuff like that.

It's like impulses from the body that I think I must do, that I'm almost addicted to.

So the question is, how can I reduce this behaviors and gain more control of myself, with meditation?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: How to treat addiction with mindulness?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
Funnily enough through meditation I'd managed to develop the ability to move my ears whenever I was thinking hard, relaxing my face managed to help me overcome that and a pre-existing habit of clenching my jaw. Doing that also managed to assist in a more relaxed state of wellbeing over all.

It's difficult to describe the process I used to relax my face, the best annunciation I can think of is I consciously went against my more instinctual reflex to clench/tense. So when you go to do your tic, stop yourself and do the opposite.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: How to treat addiction with mindulness?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »
lokariototal,

Don't try to resist these things. Sit and be with yourself, quietly breathing, relaxing and paying attention to the body. Your mind and body will calm, you will start to develop insight into these habits/addictions. It won't be a straight-line path yet it will lead to a reduction in what troubles you.

As Dharmic Tui has described through insight there arose an ability to let go of these tics.

Kind regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~