Author Topic: Living the Non Judgmental life: is it possible?  (Read 2206 times)

lokariototal

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Living the Non Judgmental life: is it possible?
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:18:04 PM »
Is it truly posible to live a non judgmental life? I understand how living like this can help with mental suffering,  but what about more extreme situations???  I mean how can one be 'non judgmental'  about the sufferong created by for example intense pain or torture?  How can someone be non judgmental about for example getting their right leg chopped off?  can meditation liberate us from such intense pain?

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Living the Non Judgmental life: is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:40:47 PM »
I don't think the point of meditation is to liberate from physical pain. Of course, it does help to make better decisions so that you don't put yourself in such situations where there is a possibility of intense pain (a small example: increased focus and awareness while driving helps to avoid accidents), but that is not the main purpose of meditation, at least not Vipassana. When there is pain, there is an acceptance that it is such and such sensation and the practitioner develops his faculty of detachment to such a great extent that he could remain observing it. Chopping one's leg off etc are quite extreme examples but may be the following incident could help to accept that the possibility to attain such high levels of detachment are quite high: Burning monk.mov

In any case, Vipassana is not intended as a training to increase our endurance; it was and still is a great tool for purification of the mind and salvation.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

redalert

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »
     Hey loka,

Non-judgement as I understand it means upeka(equanimity), this is mental calmness, composure, evenness of temper in difficult situations. Our meditative practice is to strengthen our equanimity. Practicing meditation in a controlled environment we are faced with many challenges, physical pain, pleasant sensations, wandering mind, boredom, sleepyness, itches, etc... we must learn to remain equanimous towards these. Our practice in this controlled environment is to help us remain equanimous in our day to day lives. We are slowly changing the old habit pattern of the mind of blind reaction.
     The burning monk video is an example of a very confused monk who has lost his way on the path, and is violating the first precept. It is however a fine example of the level of detatchment from mind and body one can experience in the arupa jhanas. Thanks vivek ???  I may not sleep tonight. ;)
     A great example of equanimity is shown in the Mel Gibson movie The passion of the Christ. The man is being tortured to death, he never slips into the arupa's and blacks out, he remains completely present. He also never generates any ill will or anger towards anyone he only has kind words and thoughts towards everyone. This to me is the pinnacle of the buddhas teachings.

metta :)

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
Hello lokariototal,

I would like to make a difference between
on the one hand judging situations and taking decisions and
on the other hand being judgemental.

Indeed, a lot of things in the world are wrong or go wrong. It is proper to see things that are wrong or evil as being wrong or evil. Chopping someone's leg off is evil. It is proper judgement to see that as evil.

Some people have as a hobby in seeing what is wrong, and in pointing it out to their friends and colleagues. They are judgemental about others, never see the wrong that they do themselves and have a lack of humour. So they are being judgemental.

In believe that meditation is a good thing. I also believe it is not a magical trick that can fend off any evil. Sorry. I enjoy living in a country that is free of torture.