Author Topic: Meditation regiment through out your life  (Read 6366 times)

Maelle

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Meditation regiment through out your life
« on: September 11, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

This will mark my first post and I wanted to get a feel for other practicioners here and their meditation regiments. As Goenka recommends, Vipassana meditators are recommended a daily minnimum of two 1 hour sittings every day, one in the morning and one in the evening. I try my best to adhere to this regiment, but I have throughout my 4 years of exposure to the technique waxed and waned from this regiment quite radically, going from full adherence to half to none and back to full. I believe consistancy is my struggle on the path. I also struggle with daily life gettting in the way, or rather me letting daily life get in the way. Friday nights for a 24 year old Californian male is quite frequently spent out and about and this occasionally has me skipping my night meditation, and coming home late messes up my subsequent morning sitting, and so on.

How is everyone else's regiment holding up? How long have you kept your regiment? and what tips or tricks do you guys have for maintaining a steady regiment?

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Meditation regiment through out your life
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
For many practitioners, sitting for 1 hour twice a day can be too much. More diffcult to handle is the guilt or disappointment when one finds one is not able to stick to it. If you feel that sitting twice a day is too difficult a goal for you, then try adjusting your goal so that it appears more achievable. Make a commitment to sit one hour daily, preferable in the morning, say, immediately after taking bath. Over a period of time, this becomes a healthy routine by which you will be able to sit daily more consistenly. In case of weekends, you can sit maybe later in the day; you would stil be able to keep your goal since, you have to sit only one hour anytime during the day. Since, the goal then appears more achievable, the mental pressure to keep up one's practice will be less tormenting and one can steadily build one's practice. Eventually, you will start sitting for more time, even additional one-hour sittings throughout the day, as and when you get time. Vipassana off-cushion also helps to make the practice more steady. Throughout the day, try as much as possible to keep some of your awareness within the body, noting some sensation or the other. You don't have to sweep throughout the body, just like during sitting. Just being aware of any sensation or other will do.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Maelle

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:39:03 PM »
Yes cutting back down to an hour might help ease of the pressure of sticking to the daily prescribed regiment. Though, I am in the need of as much sitting as possible due to difficulties in my life in the form of ADD, lack of focus and concentration, etc.

Vivek, what is your regiment and how do you manage it along with daily life? How long have you kept it up? 

Delma54

• Disappearing
    • Glad the Buddha got enlightened
    • Happily improving the experience
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 07:02:08 AM »
Hi Maelle
To master 1st stage of Meditation a regular practice is needed. For a lot of people will take years if ever to master this.
I did my 1st Vipassana course in 1992. I still have not managed a regularity on my sittings

Maelle

• Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
What are these stages? Never heard of it described in stages, other than in the two stages of anapanna and vipassana.

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:40:09 AM »
Hi Maelle, for years I had used one sitting per day as my goal and it has helped me improve my practice significantly. I suggest to stop obsessing about sitting more and more hours per day. More important than time is the quality of each sitting. Build your daily practice slowly but steadily with manageable goals. It is more prudent to seek professional help for psychological problems rather than relying on meditation alone.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Falkov

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:01 PM »
Finding time to practice and living your normal life shouldn't be a struggle.   Sitting for an hour a day is nice, however, if sitting shorter but more often works best for you, then you may consider that option.    Most important is that you do it regularly at your own pace- it's not a race, you know? 

Not like someone is gonna whack you w/ a stick if you don't do it for an hour, or you'll be late for Nirvana.   Just sit and be aware that you are sitting- and not daydream or worse -fall asleep.    Make the most of your practice regardless of how much or how little.

Delma54

• Disappearing
    • Glad the Buddha got enlightened
    • Happily improving the experience
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
What are these stages? Never heard of it described in stages, other than in the two stages of anapanna and vipassana.
Hi Maelle. Upasaka Culadasa show you ten stages of meditation that we need to master: check attachment out & enjoy

redalert

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:03:08 AM »
hi maelle,

Giving dhamma service on a 10 day course is very inspiring and can help aid in developing a daily practice as you must work all day and sit the 3 one hour manditory group sits. Talking and working with other meditators is very helpful and seeing all the smiling faces on day 10 lets us know why we do this. I cannot recomend dhamma service enough.
    You can also do pt-time service if you cannot spend 10 days, I often do this when I have spare time.  Its a great way to keep motivated.

be happy! :)

Blue

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 05:51:08 AM »
I was able to keep the regiment because I saw the remarkable benefits of the practice, they keep accruing more and more.  It was to the point where after a while I felt dirty skipping a sit, like I was skipping a shower or something.

If you have to miss one here and there that is fine, but at the base should be a stable practice

Just as as important as your daily practice is to sit a meditation course every year (or every other year, or every three years... ect, whatever you can handle)

-d

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 05:53:31 AM by Blue »

Maelle

• Vipassana
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »
Hi Maelle. Upasaka Culadasa show you ten stages of meditation that we need to master: check attachment out & enjoy

Wow, this is cool stuff. Thanks for that. I'll start getting familiar with it ASAP.

And thanks for all the shared experiences guys. What a help and inspiration it is to hear other meditators speak of their experiences and how they managed to overcome difficulties. I started meditating twice 30 min a day instead and this was much more manageable for me. I am going to continue with this regiment until I am ready and my schedule allows me comfortably expand the hours.

DarkNightOfNoSoul

• Lots of sharp rocks on this here path
    • Sayagyi U Ba Khin/Goenka, Mahasi Sayadaw
    • Slow learner
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
Hey Maelle, I had similar problems keeping up the harsh Goenka daily meditation regimen. After every retreat I tried to sit for an hour morning and night, but I only ever managed it for a month or two at the most. So eventually I resolved to just sit for ten minutes a day to begin with, just to get into the habit. It's been a year since then, and although I only sit for about 20-40 minutes, it's been relatively easy to maintain the daily habit, and I finally feel I'm experiencing some noticeable benefits in my everyday life. In the last month I've added a second daily session. So for me this has been much better than jumping straight into two hours per day, and it's something I look forward to, rather than seeing it as a grind and a chore. I wish you all the best in your practice.

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
hi maelle,

Giving dhamma service on a 10 day course is very inspiring and can help aid in developing a daily practice as you must work all day and sit the 3 one hour manditory group sits. Talking and working with other meditators is very helpful and seeing all the smiling faces on day 10 lets us know why we do this. I cannot recomend dhamma service enough.
    You can also do pt-time service if you cannot spend 10 days, I often do this when I have spare time.  Its a great way to keep motivated.

be happy! :)

The above is very true! Even going to service for one or two days gives massive benefits! You are in a Dhamma environment, you can work seriously and you get inspired by the sangha. It's also possible that if they have enough people in the kitchen you'll be able to sit for a day or part of a day, and this is a great opportunity :)

I find one hour a day has massive benefits. It's nearly ten years now since my first 10-day course, and I'm very compassionate with myself about daily practice. Two hours a day is fantastic, but it is not always possible. Sometimes 20 minutes is all that is possible. Sometimes a few minutes before going to sleep is all that is possible. But have a strong determination to meditate everyday and to bring meditation into your driving, walking, cycling, running, eating, typing and shopping. Everything will be your practice. You won't divide it up anymore. The division creates the conflict. But sitting meditation is certainly the fast-lane to deeper peace :)

metta
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti