Author Topic: Visualisation During body Scanning  (Read 2041 times)

Vixsesh

Visualisation During body Scanning
« on: September 26, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
Can somebody pls advise me on how to stay away from Visualization of body parts during body Scanning - Vipassana :'(

redalert

Re: Visualisation During body Scanning
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:00:05 PM »
     Do you mean you are moving your eyes to each particular body part as you scan for sensations invisioning that body part? or are you seeing colours sparks such things with the sensations?
     Can you be more specific?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:09:30 PM by redalert »

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:14:36 PM »

Can somebody pls advise me on how to stay away from Visualization of body parts during body Scanning - Vipassana :'(

Abstain from aversion towards this mind tic. As soon as you realise it, you tell yourself in a relaxed manner "oh, now I am visualising again", stay equanimous to this fact and move your awareness back to the body. And again. And again. And again ...
It's just another obstacle on the path, and actually it's a good development ... there are meditators who haven't been aware for long time that they never really scanned, but just visualized the body parts. Once you have become aware of this brain game, it becomes increasingly easy to focus on actual body phenomena without painting a mind picture of it.

Metta!
anicca

Blue

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Don't worry about it! It's not that big of a deal at all and it will go away on it's own.  As long as you aren't consciously encouraging it you are doing the right think.

Vixsesh

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »
     Do you mean you are moving your eyes to each particular body part as you scan for sensations invisioning that body part? or are you seeing colours sparks such things with the sensations?
     Can you be more specific?

When my eyes are closed sometimes when the pain is unbearable especially below the hips i start visualizing from my thighs to the knees and to the ankles.i find it easier to not visualize when my body is in a straight line like when i'm meditating lying down, 'cos then i'm just moving up and down while scanning

redalert

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:09:27 PM »
      Hi vixsesh,

you probably find the scanning technique easier in the lying down posture because you are more relaxed and concentration is coming more effortlessly. As long as you don't fall asleep in this posture while meditating, this is a good way to practice when you need a break from seated meditation. Do not substitute this for formal sitting as you could develope aversion towards the gross sensation and craving for the subtle sensation.
       I believe what you are experiencing is very common, and I think you've recieved great advice from the others, don't worry about it. Also, don't hesitate to call a centre and talk to an AT they are always willing to help.

Keep up the good work :)