Author Topic: sleeping  (Read 2393 times)

DL

• 39 y , male , serious in vipassana
    • did Goenka course, reading Shinzen Young mateyal.
    • יהודי,ציוני,חילוני,רווק,אתאיסט
sleeping
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:16:22 PM »
i have some problem with sleeping at night.

naybe it is relating by the vipassana ?

suggestions ?

redalert

Re: sleeping
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »
   Hi DL,
    I was taught that when the mind is focused on a single object it is at rest, this is why on a meditation retreat we may find ourselves sleeping less. The body however still needs to rest from the daily activity. When I lie in bed and cannot sleep I start body scanning; lie perfectly still so the body is relaxed and bring your attention to different parts of the body feeling the sensations available. Even if you were to do this for the duration of your sleeping time and did not have any deep sleep you will be fine to perform your daily functions as this is the equivalent to sleep. In this state the body is resting and recovering and the mind is at peace. If however we spend this time tossing and turning, stressing over the fact that we are not sleeping then we will be miserable the next day.
    If you are going to practice vipassana you will experience a lot less sleep than you have in the past, the more you practice the less you sleep  ???. I would look at this as progress on this wonderful path to full awakening. :D
    Also, if you plan on developing your sila further and observe 8 precepts there is this little beauty,
8th precept:  I undertake to abstain from luxurious places for sitting or sleeping, and overindulging in sleep.  :'(
metta

peepalala

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
friend many reason could be behind it , do you have any tension ?? .

DL

• 39 y , male , serious in vipassana
    • did Goenka course, reading Shinzen Young mateyal.
    • יהודי,ציוני,חילוני,רווק,אתאיסט
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »
tension because of my work , no doubt