Author Topic: meditation when walking on the street  (Read 8322 times)

DL

• 39 y , male , serious in vipassana
    • did Goenka course, reading Shinzen Young mateyal.
    • יהודי,ציוני,חילוני,רווק,אתאיסט
meditation when walking on the street
« on: August 24, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »
I learend vipasanna of Goenka on April and practise regulary 30 minutes aday.

I want to start practicing meditation while i am walking on the street or talking to people.

Any recommendation how do i do this ?

I am used to meditate while sitting , but i want also to pratice on real life
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:41:38 PM by DL »

redalert

Re: meditation when walking on the street
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Hi DL,
Great to see your keeping up the practice. :)
when you finish your morning sit mindfully stand up, feel the sensations in your legs as the blood flows, if you must use the washroom be mindful as you urinate or deficate, feel the sensations, while you are doing dishes feel the sensations in your hands, quietly stack the dishes. when you walk feel the sensations of your feet touching the ground or try to be aware of your breathing. While interacting with others try to remain in the body, be aware of how you feel when different things are said, eg. when you want to speak and someone is dominating the conversation what does that sensation feel like, when someone says something hurtful what did that sensation feel like.
Basically try to keep your attention in the body as often as you can, and as in seated meditation when your attention drifts away from the meditation object gently bring it back.
metta

DL

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
redalert - thank you .

i already try to be in a half mediative state while i am eating or going to the bathroom - with some sucsses.

i try to meditate while i am showering - no sucsses - the water takes me out of focus.

but when i am on the steet - wouldnt it be more logikal to try to forus in the moment outside my self - i mean - with the reality of other people ?

when i tries to focus on the past in my body while walking on the street i had found it too difficult - there is too much "noise " . the body ia always "shaking " ......

redalert

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:39 PM »
hi DL,
When i'm cold and i step into a warm shower i can feel all the tightness (stress) dissolve away as the water touches my skin, in retrospect when i'm warm and step into a cold shower i feel my body tense up. I just try to observe these sensations as they come and go.
Part of your attention is going to be focused on the outside world ( you don't want to get run over by a bus), but try to keep part of your attention focused on the inner body(subtle sensations) if this is not available focus on the more gross sensations your breath, the wind contacting your skin, or the pressure in your feet supporting your body.
Keep improving your sampajanna (clear comprehension), a yogi is trying to develope awareness 24/7.
metta

DL

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
in the past i tried to feel my sensation in the shower while trying to ignore the water ..... while after reading your post , redalert , i think that actually i have to try to pay attenssion exactly to i had tried to ignore before - the sensation of the water ....

and also -i think -  maybe i shold try to put the most hot and cold water i can stand , in order to maximze my feelling and sensations ?

Falkov

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
What's the rush?  Practice walking/ talking in safe environment first before you attempt to go where danger to yourself can happen.    If you have difficulty in shower, you will have difficulty where people are talking and walking or car(s) passing by.     Don't ignore anything- know everything.

You can be aware of your walking motion, however.  While crossing the street, you need to know where you are and what you are doing in this "present"  situation and environment. Use your thinking to avoid the danger.   It can get overwhelming, and it takes time to master- and that's just for walking.  Try dealing w/ thinking and the mind- all kind of thought and emotion while doing many simple things in life.   Not easy, it takes a lot of practice.    Just because you are aware of things/ and yourself 12/7, life goes on if not here then elsewhere.   And practice continues.   

Be aware of all your thoughts, actions and feeling- sounds easy but hard to do.   So, keep on practicing.

DL

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
falkov , if i am walking on the street and i try to open all my sensation - i am getting aware too much of the noise of the car . so i have to try to ignore from it and put my awreness on something else.
the question is - on what ? inside me or out side me ? etc.

redalert

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:41:47 PM »
in the past i tried to feel my sensation in the shower while trying to ignore the water ..... while after reading your post , redalert , i think that actually i have to try to pay attenssion exactly to i had tried to ignore before - the sensation of the water ....

and also -i think -  maybe i shold try to put the most hot and cold water i can stand , in order to maximze my feelling and sensations ?

hi DL,
      There should be no effort put in to creating sensations, all effort should be put into observing sensations as they naturally arise. There is no need to go to any extremes in the shower with water temperature, that would have a negative effect, you would be training yourself to become aware of only gross sensations and you will miss the subtle sensations, your concentration will not sharpen.
       Just be patient and try to keep part of your attention focused inwardly, do not have expectations or crave sensation let it happen naturally. also, keep up the great work with your daily sitting.  :)
metta

Falkov

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 02:42:31 AM »
falkov , if i am walking on the street and i try to open all my sensation - i am getting aware too much of the noise of the car . so i have to try to ignore from it and put my awareness on something else.
the question is - on what ? inside me or out side me ? etc.

Remember, walking on the street- is not the same as walking in the safe environment like in a temple.   In a protected place you can focus more w/in and be aware of your walking motion along w/ thoughts in the background.   When you are near or on street where you can get hit by a car or you can walk into a moving car- then you need to pay more attention outward- the same as driving car.    That noise from cars can be too much, but it can also be the warning if you hear something out of ordinary.    Yes, it can be overwhelming which is why I suggested to start off slow and in safe place.     I once walked into an automatic door long time ago-  still have a scar on my forehead to show for!    BTW, when you hear noise, know that you hear noise- don't let it become distraction- basically don't judge, certainly don't let the mind dictate what you hear.   If noise is too much then find a relieve, don't just ignore it.

As you begin to apply the mindfulness to daily activity,  you will usually get caught up w/ your own thoughts and what you need to do.    Simply be aware and  bring attention back to your breathing and move slowly and be mindful of what you are doing at the moment- again not ideal if cars are moving near you.    Eventually w/ enough practice, you can walk on street knowing how to get out of difficult situation and still aware of your own thoughts and movement.   

BTW, enjoy the cold shower!  I used to live in a snowy area, and really did enjoy it everyday.   There is nothing like it and I could never get used to the cold and numbness.  It is another way to test how discipline you are.   The longer you take - thinking about how cold the shower is, the more you will suffer mentally.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:56:45 PM by Falkov »

DL

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 09:18:07 AM »
i started practicing while walking in my house.
no cars , a little bit boring , but better than nothing .

than i dont have to block part of my sensation (noise of friking cars)

Mal

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »

i try to meditate while i am showering - no sucsses - the water takes me out of focus.

Aren't you supposed to focus on the water?

Mal

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »

Part of your attention is going to be focused on the outside world ( you don't want to get run over by a bus), but try to keep part of your attention focused on the inner body...

Why? Why not just focus on "what comes up"?

I find this "everyday" mindfulness very difficult, it's hard enough stopping my eternal questioning during formal meditation!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 01:21:06 PM »
but when i am on the steet - wouldnt it be more logikal to try to forus in the moment outside my self - i mean - with the reality of other people ?

Hi DL,

Yes this is right understanding. All the qualities you develop on the cushion calm, concentration, relaxation, awareness, compassion, clarity, wisdom; all these are of no use if you sit under a tree all day. We "practice" to develop them to use them in our daily lives.

Practically, when someone is talking with you, for example, if you are anything like most people, you will notice that you start forming an answer/response and clinging to it and cultivating it even before the other has even finished speaking. So much so you may actually miss the main point of what they are saying. In this type of moment one practices calm and concentration: listening fully.When answers start forming note the thought but put the concentration back on the other. Hear them out, breathe and feel, and formulate an answer/response after listening fully.

Kind regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Blue

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

No you always want to keep your attention on your body!

when i tries to focus on the past in my body while walking on the street i had found it too difficult - there is too much "noise " . the body ia always "shaking "

If the body is shaking, then feel the shaking.

Matthew

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »

Until you feel the body getting crushed under a bus you didn't pay attention to ....
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Falkov

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »

Until you feel the body getting crushed under a bus you didn't pay attention to ....

Yes, same reason why it is not a good idea to talk / text while driving,  or drive under influence (DUI).   It is not the time and place for it.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

it's always the right time and place for awareness ...

(especially when DUI  ;) )
anicca

Falkov

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 05:12:22 PM »
That's true!  The goal is to be aware all the time- so the right action and right afford can be applied.     Although if the mindfulness is being applied while most people are DUI, then DUI would not be illegal.   Unfortunately, asides from having fun and seeking pleasure, many people drink to escape and forget!

redalert

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 06:13:20 PM »
      People drink alcohol for one reason alone, to stay asleep.

I think the message of the buddha was COCKADOODLEDOO!!!!! (insert rooster smiley) 

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »
Practically, when someone is talking with you, for example, if you are anything like most people, you will notice that you start forming an answer/response and clinging to it and cultivating it even before the other has even finished speaking. So much so you may actually miss the main point of what they are saying. In this type of moment one practices calm and concentration: listening fully.When answers start forming note the thought but put the concentration back on the other. Hear them out, breathe and feel, and formulate an answer/response after listening fully.

I like this post.

In general, my opinion is, that I meditate only on the cushion.
But it is true, that it works for me like Matthew pictures.
When for instance, as a taxi driver, I have a very angry client, the experience on the cushion helps. And, I must say, I am also helped by a short course I followed with very practical tips. (Like saying "Thank you" when someone complies - even if he had to comply.)

nibs

• The Path to Happiness
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »

when i tries to focus on the past in my body while walking on the street i had found it too difficult - there is too much "noise " . the body ia always "shaking "

If the body is shaking, then feel the shaking.

Using your eyes and being aware of the 'seen' and cognising and being aware of the info of oncoming traffic/people walking past is not paying attention to bodily and mental processes and thus not practicing awareness a la vipassana? You don't have to be some hardcore goenka yogi by keeping all attention on sensations at all times.  Sensations are just one aspect of the field of experience. You avoid the rest of the field of experience at your own peril.

Being aware of that which is seen, heard and cognised outside of simply vedana (feeling tone) will continue momentum and also avoid being so internally focused, what is seen and heard and cognised by the brain elsewhere, that continuous awareness of internal focus wont be a practice being set up to be 'interrupted'. Internal/external, these concepts are there, but they are concepts. The entire field of experience is happening (arising and passing) at all sense doors. That which interrupts, i.e. the noise, is also something to become aware of as it arises and passes of its own accord. The three characteristics can be seen all over the shop and thus there will be no gaps in one's practice, when the whole shop is part of practice. Of course, beginner's steps start somewhere, but being conscious of the 'gaps' and then finding ways to include them in the mix, fills up those gaps, and momentum in practice, which is pretty much key as far as I'm concerned, will be uninterrupted.

2 cents worth.
"Awakening is like taking a satisfying dump." Some anonymous yogi

redalert

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 12:59:11 AM »
     Hey nibs,

When we start practicing meditation it can be very easy for us to become confused, many different traditions each with their own techniques. I agree with you 100% in regard to establishing momentum(continuity) in ones practice, but it is important to choose a technique and stick with it. My concern is that observing external noises or sights arising and passing away is not the goenka practice that DL is using. If DL is aware enough to observe sights and sounds his time is better spent observing bodily sensations at any depth of penetration. When you observe sensations you are indirectly observing sankharas. If bodily sensations are unavailable to him then he should observe the natural flow of respiration.
     The gaps in our practice will naturally get smaller as we progress on the path.

metta

Sylvia1982

• Write something about yourself here
    • goenka jee
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 02:54:38 PM »

I find being aware of other bodily movements such as walking, eating quite difficult. Instead, I pay attention to what I call underlying currents of sensations like on the abdomen area or if thoughts of any emotions pop up, I try to observe the underlying sensation within my body to investigate whether I can notice a different sensations.

I like the idea of "hyper realist" by Ray Dalio in Principles by Ray Dalio quite inspiring. If we face all things with courage whether we like or dislike and learn to accept then mindfulness of the body will be a second nature.

I hope this makes sense.

Matthew

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »
nibs does it again: "The here it is in a nutshell" man. Those cent's are minted in pure gold brother.