Author Topic: Anyone with Anxiety and or Panic attacks?  (Read 3448 times)

PeasantProphet

• Write something about yourself here
    • Beginner
Anyone with Anxiety and or Panic attacks?
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:19:57 AM »
Was diagnosed with Anxiety and panic attacks in September of 2013. I had my first panic attack in September and then went to the doctor it left me terrified. Got a bunch of test done, everything came back fine. I usually was a care free person, I had normal angst like every living thing does. But it just kept getting worse. Some days I was feeling fine, but I wanted this terrible feeling to go away. That is a big reason why I began meditating about 6 days ago. I may not have the form down properly, but I will be patient. Has meditation worked for any meditation users here? and if it did how long did it take? I ask because I had a mini panic attack today after working out. I am hoping meditation can in the least help me calm or manage these "thoughts" Thanks for any replies or tips

mindfulness.sati

• observe breath.....
    • Goenka
Re: Anyone with Anxiety and or Panic attacks?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:16:37 AM »
PeasantProphet
   which gone is gone for ever. now it comes because you think of it. try to concentrate the way as is on home page or the way you are doing. do not get panic for the result. it definitely works. when ever feeling comes only see it. do not get involved in it.
   it is not the job of a day or so. thoughts comes in leaps and bounds. the best way to concentrate on your in and out breath every time.
i hope it will help you out.

be mindfulness...regards

shu

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:24:04 PM »
I suffer from anxiety and depression. I've been on-off meditating for three years and started a daily practice eight months ago.
In my experience meditation did help me so far. It changed the way I think and feel about anxiety, and it sometimes gives me the opportunity to "be ok" with anxiety - it gives me a little breathing space, so I don't get so overwhelmed. And in general I feel calmer.

Still: when my anxiety gets too strong, I get washed away by it. My meditation practice is not developed enough for me to cope with these feelings. But I'm confident that more practice (months, years) will help me with this. Gradually it will get easier to stay equanimous while experiencing these feelings.

When I started to meditate my main motivation was to "cure my anxiety". Several times I got disappointed and frustrated because I made no (or not enough) progress in that regard. So I stopped meditation several times because of this until at some point I tried not to focus too much on "getting better" while meditating. That really helped with my practice. So I think it's helpful to not expect too much. If you sit everyday, things will change.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »
PeasantProphet,

Scientific studies have shown that long lasting effects/changes can be achieved with as little as four weeks of meditation.

Relaxation into your own felt sense of being is going to be the key to making meditation help. Not too strained, not too loose: Connecting to yourself physically/viscerally, connecting body and mind through attention to the physical sensations created throughout the body by the breathing process. When mind wanders into thinking gently take note it has happened and return attention to the physical sensations created by breathing.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:33:19 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Trying to tweak a few things so my back doesn't hurt when I meditate

Skanzi

• Doing whatever I can to improve
    • Doing Vipassana, Anapana and Ashtanga yoga
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:26:18 PM »
I suffered from panic attacks about a year ago. I used an audio program to get rid of it. It was really thorough and very powerful.

I'm very thankful that I took that step to buy the audio program. It completely out new perspective on my life and made change around 180 degrees.

There were still a lot of things to learn, and my anxiety wasn't over yet after the program was finished (the panic attacks were over, but still some lower-level anxiety in several situations). But I kept learning. I started to become obsessed about women, i wanted to become an pickup artist. I really did damage to myself by doing that because I wasn't connected with my body, with my intuïtion. I literally thought: "The more fear in the situation, the more i've got to do this". And I couldn't see that there was something as "too much". So i forced myself into doing things my heart, my body, my soul didn't want me to, but because i was so caught up in my head i didn't know where to stop, because I wasn't thought so. I'm over that period now, I sometimes now still feel the effects of the time where I forced myself doing those things, approaching, doing stupid shit in front of women.

Since a few months, i started to read a lot of books, I became increasingly interested in self-development youtube video's. First the video's regarding success with women, after that more general self-development. But my focus was too much on getting what I didn't have yet. The vipassana course, including Eckhart Tolle's book "The power of now" Is that your focus has to be on the present moment. Self-development, developing yourself financially, socially, in adventure, in exercise, in relationships, in business, and even emotionally all come in second place. Your primary focus has to be in the present moment. Everything you do you do it from the present moment, from the now. Working on skills, overcoming fears, taking action and responsibility for your life situation, setting goals... It's all great, believe me. And you should work on that. But never put any of these priorities above the awareness of the here and now.

Perhaps I was drifting off a little bit too much. What I would recommend you is to but the audio program that I bought. You can try it out the first 8 weeks for free so you know for sure it isn't a scam.

AAAND... I would really recommend you a few powerful youtube channels. The one I find the very best is called "Infinite waters (diving deep), that's the one I find so inspirational and tends to make me emotional. Also great alternatives are Elliot Hulse, Eckhart Tolle, YouAreCreators. The RSD branch is also a good one, though their focus is more on social dynamics and succes with women (RSDbrad is not focused on that though). If you're interested in that, go ahead and look that up too. But don't become so absorbed and obsessed about that as I did :P Also search up stevepavlina.com

And ofcourse, meditate :P

If you want my help or advice, for instance on book recommendations, or any other question or doubts you have, doesn't matter what, than please send me a PM. You're always welcome to contact me.

Cheers dude, that you may find peace and joy within yourself :)

NOTE: I'm not intending to promote any book, program or youtube channel, I'm really trying to share the resources with others that helped me personally so much in good and bad times, and that motivated and inspired me to grow stronger and wiser, so that others may learn from them too. I want to help.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:31:48 PM by Skanzi »
Do you have a conflict? A doubt which you don't know the answer for? Try this:

- Advise yourself like you would advise a friend.  If you can easily advise your friend, why not take the same advice to yourself?

If you're still not sure, just admit you're not sure and just make a choice.

Peace

PeasantProphet

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:56:39 AM »
Thanks for the info, I read Steve's book and that is how I began meditating. I had a good few days anxious before was a 9 now its at a 6-7. I'm working as best I can, but I am trying to rush myself which might be a mistake. I will def check out the channels and maybe the audio program, thanks

Erifily

• Secular practice
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:45:44 AM »
I've had panic attacks in the past, what really helped me was learning to control my breath through pranayama practice.

Since i started formal meditation practice, I have noticed that going out into the busy world (like a supermarket) right after practice triggers an attack sometimes, and most of the time I feel vulnerable to attacks after a session.

And again i use the same strategy, pranayama.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Meditation helped my anxiety by illuminating that my thoughts aren't me and my emotional reaction to them is more a reflex action than a validation of their legitimacy.