Author Topic: Meaning of morning and evening meditation  (Read 1999 times)

thirdeyeblind82

Meaning of morning and evening meditation
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
Hi guys!
I was wondering what's the meaning in meditating 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the evening...

I mean... I'm trying to use the concepts of Vipassana in my day to day life, being present in every moment and feeling the sensations everytime they appears... At least I'm tryng! :D

But what are the 2 hours per day for? Is it a kind of training to concentrate on our own body, instead on our mind?
Shouldn't be the "be present everytime" the real training?
Thanks a lot!!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Meaning of morning and evening meditation
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
thirdeye,

You are correct. That is why meditation practice is called "practice".

Though the end-game is moment to moment mindfulness it can be hard to establish this and clearly see the habituations of body-mind that colour your perception, feelings, reactions, thoughts etc. if you are working only with the present moment in daily life.

Development of concentration, clarity of mind, peaceful relaxed open awareness are practiced during meditation practice - in fact meditation/mindfulness is not anything we do, it is a state of mind, a state of being. Meditation practice makes it easier to progressively experience these qualities of mind, rest in them effortlessly and develop them fully.

Even if you can maintain a mindful state 24/7 I would not underestimate the value of the practice. Life is busy and stopping as much outside influence as possible for periods to heighten awareness of how your bodymind is manifesting in this moment will probably convince you of it's value, by your own experience.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Blue

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
That's great you are trying to be aware of sensations at all times!  Keep it up.

To answer your question.  The 1 hour morning, 1 hour night sits are more concentrated times of your meditation.  You are able to go deeper with your eyes closed sitting still.

-d

thirdeyeblind82

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:14:43 PM »
Thank you so much guys!
It's not easy to spend 2 hour per day meditating (mostly because of boredom) but I'm doing my best! :)

redalert

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:22 AM »
hi thirdeyeblind82,
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy, but the fruits you shall recieve from this time spent meditating will be very tasty.
The two hours a day are like brushing your teeth, they keep the mind clean from the days pollutants, but every once in a while we need to go to the dentist for a deep cleaning. A meditation retreat once a year is also very helpful.
Keep up the good work. :)