Author Topic: Am i improving at all  (Read 2110 times)

Vixsesh

Am i improving at all
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »
Ive been meditating for more than 18 months now and it feels great. Its changed my life. But how do i know for sure if im on the right path to improvement in meditation.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
Re: Am i improving at all
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:29:48 AM »
Hello Vixesh,

Just for a change I will give you a reaction that you and most people on this forum might not like:
         One does not know if one is on the right path     ???
Of course, there are schools and teachers that have a clear idea of what is to be done and what is to be accomplished. So if you want to tread the path of that school or of such a teacher, he might be able to tell you. (He/ she might react, that the answer to your question is of no importance. He might only give you corrections to your technique.)

But in a broader sense your question might be about what is worthwhile in Life, what is Good. And Life is far broader than meditation techniques. The sense that one is a worthwhile part of life has just as much to do with moral behaviour and connection to people and to life in general.
You say it has changed your life. Take an honest look at your life and at the changes. Really honest. Than ask yourself: Is this an improvement? If the answer is "Yes", than live with that answer, and go on quietly.

At times, not-knowing can be confusing.
     At (other) times, not-knowing can be purifying. Not-knowing can make one modest.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:49:28 AM »
P.S.:
In so far as your question is a practical one, it is good to know that our member Masauwu is very much helped by the guide of Upasaka Culadasa. Look for instance here: http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,1907.0.html

Vixsesh

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:52:42 PM »
Thank you quardamon....i will take a look at my life and how it has changed more closely and honestly.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 12:58:58 PM »
Just for a change I will give you a reaction that you and most people on this forum might not like:
         One does not know if one is on the right path     ???
     At times, not-knowing can be confusing.
     At (other) times, not-knowing can be purifying. Not-knowing can make one modest.

Nice post Quardamon. I agree with your suggestion. It is something I have long been implying:

Even the Buddha on his path explored many teachings. He explored each to the full depth it offered then concluded it did not deliver the release promised. Eventually he found his own path. That path has become perverted, distorted, twisted, misunderstood, ill-comprehended and thus we have hundreds of interpretations of "Buddhism", indeed the splits in the Sangha started soon after Buddha's death. Many of these interpretations are contradictory with each other and seemingly some of the basic teachings of the Buddha.

Many of these interpretations came about as Buddhism travelled and hit new shores and was merged with existing belief systems as a result.

The fruits of the practice are the yardstick to use IMHO. From what I see none of the traditions are producing the kinds of fruit the Buddha did with his Sangha (about 1 in 20 members were Arahants at his death), hence I suspect the Buddha's teaching that his path/teachings would remain intact for 500 years to be a truth. That is to say, the path is lost by the traditions. It's still there .. just not where people are walking.
Some time soon someone will rediscover the ancient path and cut through the plethora of crap labelled Buddhism. It might be yourself, or Andrew or the girl next door.

"Buddhism: it's a D.I.Y thing" - find your way - not through reading too much or listening to too many teachers ... though that has a place for inspiration and techniques to an extent - mainly just by listening to your bodymind, seeing how you are in the world (with self-honesty), and using your discernment and your growing wisdom.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vixsesh

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
 Thanks mathew, quardamom and you've brought me some clarity. Will live in the present on just this one breath to the next and not worry too much about where im going.my practise should take care of the rest.  :)