Author Topic: Syncing my breath with my sensations  (Read 2510 times)

Vixsesh

Syncing my breath with my sensations
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »
While going into vipassana from anapana, is there anyway to simultaneously pay attention the breath alongwith various sensations in the body.For e.g inhale and sweep upwards ,exhale and sweep downwards.

redalert

Re: Syncing my breath with my sensations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:37:24 PM »
Hi Vixsesh,
This is ultimately the teaching of the buddha in the satipatthana sutta, practicing with subtle sensations (body in body) you naturally reach a stage where the body dissolves you feel the body as a mass of vibrations arising and passing with great rapidity (bhanga) , with the in-breath you feel the entire body with the out-breath you feel the entire body. But until one is at that stage I would seperate the two objects.
On a retreat a nun taught walking meditation, inbreath one step outbreath another step she did not enforce this she simply said it could be done this way.
metta

Mindfullness

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:51:44 AM »
Just a question, but don't the directions that Matthew provide say that we should pay attention to breath/sensations simultaneously?

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Just a question, but don't the directions that Matthew provide say that we should pay attention to breath/sensations simultaneously?

That's because he is into another kind of buddhist meditation - he is not a "Goenkling" ....
anicca

Renze

• Ungrounded
    • No hope
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
Don't fabricate, don't force anything. You only need to accept the present moment and maintain awareness of the breath. You don't need to 'sync your breath with sensations', you only need to follow the breath and accept any distractions as (also) being part of the present moment.

redalert

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:03:45 PM »

That's because he is into another kind of buddhist meditation - he is not a "Goenkling" ....

hey stefan,

In Canada we prefer to call ourselves "Go"EH"nklings" you got that, eh! >:( 

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »

... after having stared at this sentence for two minutes, I admit I don't understand it ...
my native lingo is german, so I don't understand everything that is written here  ;)
anicca

redalert

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 01:14:57 PM »

... after having stared at this sentence for two minutes, I admit I don't understand it ...
my native lingo is german, so I don't understand everything that is written here  ;)

hey stefan,

It was my attempt at humour. It's Canadian slang.
eh: a spoken interjection to ascertain the comprehension, continued interest, agreement, etc., of the person or persons addressed ("that was a good game last night, eh?"). May also be used instead of "huh?" or "what?" meaning "please repeat or say again".  Frequently mis-represented by Americans as A or hey. May have its origins from the French "hein", which is pronounced in a very similar fashion.

If this does not clear things up I suggest watching "strange brew" with Bob and Doug McKenzie :)
Now take off eh, ya hoser  :)