Author Topic: Meditation on Death  (Read 2008 times)

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
    • Looking for answers and trying to loose weight
Meditation on Death
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:20:56 PM »
I cam across a video of Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi giving instructions on the midfulness of death. Has anyone ever tried this?. Though its practice scares me a bit, my intuition tells me that I could benefit a lot from its practice.  I am the kind of person that always waits and ponders before risking anything.  I see the years go by, like in "Time" from Pink Floyd, I am still waiting for the starting gun while perfectly aware that I will never hear its shot.
From the description Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhigave, this meditation should make me realise that there is no second chance to life, no "dry" run.
Meditation makes me angry...

Mindfullness

Re: Meditation on Death
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
Frepie, would you mind posting the video? I would like to see it.

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:29 AM »
I obtained this video because I am a subscribing member of "Tricycle" magazine. I don't know if I should make it public...I will check with Matthew if there is a way to put it temporarily in this forum.

Mindfullness

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:21:08 AM »
Thanks, please do, it would be great to see the video.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »
First I came across this concept in the Castaneda books, where CC is advised by Don Juan to accept death as the best counselor there is.
If you intend to do something, think of it as your last action in life. In the face of death, is this action worthy? It's a very helpful thought before playing a silly computer game, masturbating, quarreling ect ...  ;)

The other side of this coin might be obsessive paranoia. How is anyone able to relax with the thought of "I have to hurry, death is waiting for me, I mustn't miss this one and only chance". This can build up a pressure that makes true meditation impossible.

... I think death meditation is a mighty tool, so it needs to be handled with maximum caution.
anicca

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:40:13 PM »
Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi says that it is true that it can lead to some form of agitation and so he proposes another meditation (recollection of the Buddha) to practice after the practice of mindfulness of death. But he also adds that this agitation occurs mainly when one is new to the practice and that it eventually subsides.