Author Topic: permanent sensations in the body  (Read 4373 times)

shingouz

permanent sensations in the body
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

this is my first post but I have been reading messages on this forum for a few months. This motivated my decision to practice vipassana meditation (so thank you all), and to go to a retreat. I want to learn to deal with my stress. I had panick attack a few years ago.
I just came back from a 10 days Goenka retreat (BTW sorry for my approximate english as it is not my native language). It was a fascinating experience where I learned a lot about myself. It was quite hard too, since among other things the panic attacks came back and I had to learn to face them with equanimity. I think it will help me a lot if I continue to practice when things will have settled down.

Now the thing is that i'm freaking out a little because since I came back, and also during the last days of body scanning, I have had strong inner body sensations, even when I am not meditating. As I am sitting here, writing this message, I can feel my heart beat, I can feel a long rythmic pulse in my veins, I feel vibrations in my tissues and muscles as I move, I feel movements (digestion ?) in my abdomen. I wonder if I will be feeling this all the time if I continue to practice, or if it is a sort of obsession which is capturing part of my attention. I try to relax and watch it with equanimity but it is sometimes disturbing me as I try to focus on something else (tv, radio, someone who I talk to). Since I am very anxious by nature all this captures my attention and worries me.

Can experienced meditators help me, and tell me if feeling all this is normal and how to deal with it.   
Thank you for reading this message,

shingouz

hitasham

Re: permanent sensations in the body
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
Hello,
I've been experimenting with energies quite a lot fo rthe last 3 to 4 years. For me the sensation became stronger and stronger over time, after I became involved in meditation and spiritality. For me it is a privilidge to be able to experience this prana or energy or chi, what ever you wanna call it, I feel them about 50 to 70 of my time (most of that time I'm aware of it unconsciously), I just let it do what ever it is doing as should you, I have experience with anxiety, i also had an anxiety attack a few years ago (not due to this subject) so the most important thing is dont worry, you are lucky you have this gift. Personally this experience was important in my life because it reassured me spirituality is real. If you can feel your heart beating hard then it could be a sign of anxiety, I only sometimes feel my heartbeat. Which part of the body can you feel the long rythmic pulse? The veins could be nadis, but that depends on where you are feeling them. Are the movements in your abdomens back or middle?
Over the years you will get used to the sensations, and after watching them you will understand your 'etheric' body better because after a while (2 or so years for me) you will feel how the nadis/energy channels are connected.
What helped me most was simply relaxing and playing with the energy, experimenting with it.

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
Hi Shingouz,

I am speculating here but as your intuition already told you, i think it`s the novelty of the experience that captured your attention; those things you feel have always been there with you, you have just now become aware of them. The strange focus on them should disappear once you become more accustomed to this path and the novelty wears off (remember impermanence). Try including anapana in your daily practice, it has a calming effect and paves the way to reaching real equanimity.
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

shingouz

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:04:03 PM »
Thanks for your answers.

I am speculating here but as your intuition already told you, i think it`s the novelty of the experience that captured your attention; those things you feel have always been there with you, you have just now become aware of them. The strange focus on them should disappear once you become more accustomed to this path and the novelty wears off (remember impermanence). Try including anapana in your daily practice, it has a calming effect and paves the way to reaching real equanimity.

Yes, i guess you are right, but really it is very strange, I will need a little time to adapt if this goes on. It's like i had new senses, and my sensations everywhere on the body are really stronger.

Which part of the body can you feel the long rythmic pulse? The veins could be nadis, but that depends on where you are feeling them. Are the movements in your abdomens back or middle?

In fact i guess what I feel very strongly is the circulation of blood in my veins all over my body. It is like something rubbing back and forth inside my body. I feel it mostly on my spinal chord, but also on my abdomen, and in the legs. All my life when I sat in a bad position I used to  have pins and needles in my legs. Since I came back, as soon as a single vein is pressed upon when I sit or lie, I feel it immedialty. It's like i have been given the superpower of blood awereness, it is rather frightening ! But maybe I could start a new carreer  ;)

I'm not sure about he "energy" thing. I have a tendency to look for practical, down to earth explanations. But since I have an open mind, and I am feeling things which seem quite extra-ordinary to me, could you tell me more about this ?

shingouz

hitasham

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:20:41 PM »
Masauwu is correct in saying the novelty factor leaves after you get used to it, and I have got used to it and it's completely normal but if I told someone about it they would think Im crazy. The blood pressure, body temperature and some other things are affected by the energy.
There is an understanding across a global community which originated thousands of years ago (when people were more in touch with the inner worlds)  in seperated colonies of an energy which permeates the universe, the chinese call it chi, the indians call it prana, reiki is another word used for it and these energies are inhaled whenever someone breathes in. This energy can determine someones health and vitality, and many communities across the world had and still have healers who use this energy to heal others by transferring it and you can't send blood from your own body through your hands to the other persons body, therefore it is energy and people who have been healed in such a way often feel cold sensations. It is important here to note that in modern chemistry reactions which take ENERGY (kinetic energy) in are known as endothermic reactions and are COLD, if you hold the vessel in which energy is being taken in to break the bonds between the atoms so that they may form new molecules then it will feel cold. And often most healers bodies become very VERY hot, mostly their hands become very hot because thats where they heal from. Do you see where this is going? In chemistry exothermic reactions give OUT energy in the form of heat. So the healer is giving up his own energy (prana or chi) in the form of heat and the patient absorbs the energy and feels cold because he/she is taking in energy. I know it's confusing thinking that why would you become cold if you are taking in more energy, it is because once the energy is inside you/absorbed by you its external signs decrease so temperature decreases. During my A level chemistry classes students always became confused why the temperature decreased of something taking in heat and one way to explain is that the cold and heat are doors of a house (in the case of healing it is the body), once the energy is inside he house you can't feel it but when energy is given out by one house it comes out in the FORM of heat and when it enters another house it enters in the form of coldness. Cold and hot, absorb and release, expand and contract; these concepts are very important in energy.
An important note is that when the cold or hot sensations are felt when working with energies it feels good, whereas if your body was hot or cold in a summers ady or winters day it feels uncomfortable.
An IMPORTANT practical tip is that you should practise belly breathing and imagine energy (the sensations you were having) coming in and when breathign out you should imagine it leaving you. This helped me work with the energy better and understand them better.

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
In my opinion working with energy and exploring other similar techniques is not very compatible with vipassana. You have to set your goal clearly and understand how every path is working towards that goal, so that you don`t get lost; because there`s a vast number of fascinating sidetracks that may have their uses and seduction, but they might steer you away from your goal.

Someone pictured spiritual development as growing on vertical and horizontal planes. Awakening to the true reality, liberation from suffering and ignorance or whatever name we might choose for it, would be a vertical axis - it has a few simple stages (simple doesn`t mean easy though) and once completed, you can pursue the horizontal planes which hold an infinite number of posibilities. Vipassana is part of the awakening toolset, and we shouldn`t think of meditation as just 60 minutes of sitting; it`s a way of living and in everyday life just as in sitting we should be aware of and not get lost in distractions, and return to our object of focus when we realize the distraction.
The summer river:
goes through the water.

hitasham

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:26 PM »
Masauwu the main reason I tend to sideline spirituality and focus more on energies is because the ego cannot vanish by your own efforts, even in Buddhism isn't it so that it takes thousands of lifetimes to awaken and other traditions for enlightenment require a teacher or it's nearly impossible. Personally that's why I'm waiting for a teacher, there's a concept that souls are developed different amounts in spiritual terms and when the time is right 'the teacher will find you' as the sufis say. But ofcourse you have to keep meditating and following the guidlelines of a path so that a light/yearing for awakening inside of you remains present.

Masauwu

• chipping away
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:38 AM »
I don`t remember the context or the origin, but i did hear this saying before: "when you are ready, the teacher will find you". For a while it did give me hope and solace. But in time i found that waiting doesn`t get me ready, and the teacher doesn`t have to be a person. Good teachers are a rare opportunity in time and space, but even if you are lucky they can`t do the work for you; with a recorded teaching (which after all is the essence of what you need from a teacher) and a diligent cultivation of the right stuff i think you can awaken in this lifetime. Think about it: you`ve already had your share of thousands of lifetimes, in the end you were led here where you learn that you might just be able to do it and how to do it - sounds like it`s worth the effort to give it your best try and maybe spare another thousand lives of suffering.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:36:04 AM by Masauwu »
The summer river:
goes through the water.

hitasham

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
That's how it should be, you should always be trying always be yearning, always be practising, I remember a buddhist saying which goes something like 'the dharma will remain present to the world until all the souls have reached enightenment, even if it takes aeons'. But what I was trying to get across was just relax and enjoy life, if it's your destiny for something special to happen it will, if not then just keep practising and enjoy life. And I completely understand your view of teachers coming in different forms. Ramana Maharshi's teacher was a mountain after all.

shingouz

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
Also, during meditations in the retreat, I felt electric tingling on my head and my face (and in other places too, I think this is quite common). The thing is, I still feel this from time to time even when i'm not meditating.
For instance, I am speaking to someone, and suddenly I feel electricity on my forehead. I'll get used to it, but this is quite disturbing for me.  ???

Does anyone experience similar things during everyday life ?

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
the body is at work
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
Hello shingouz,

A thing that can happen in a retreat, is that a natural process is started that supports the meditation. A process that can be felt as psychological, but more often is felt as bodily. Like we can feel heat or cold, or we can feel energies going around, we might sense ourselves as very light, or as very solid (like rock). All kinds of variations are possible.
The point is, that the body has its own wisdom. If you eat well, sleep well, and live a life of proper conduct in general, it is OK to trust the process. Some teachers would be glad to hear about tingling in the face, or at other places. They would see: "Ah, good, the bodily energy is activated." They might expect the tingling to move from the face to the throat, in a few days or weeks. Or to vanish, and come back three months later in the throat.

You wrote that you want to learn to deal with your stress. Well, stress (from the past, and present stress) can have all kinds of effect on the body. And for the body it is a lot of work to release what was built up in many years.  It seems that your body is doing that work.
So your job is, to stay in equanimity. Check for yourself, if this feels as natural, or logical, or necessary process. If, in the deepest of your heart, you feel that this is a natural process, than trust it.

Keep us informed, also.
(Like: If you cannot sleep whole nights, some correction is needed.)

Welcome to the forum.

Quardamon

shingouz

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:21:23 AM »
Thank you all for your kind advice.
shingouz