Author Topic: Vipassana and Reiki  (Read 3195 times)

moon unit

Vipassana and Reiki
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've been practicing Vipassana/Mindfulness meditation for about four months on a pretty much daily basis and it's something I want to remain a part of my life. However last week I met a woman who is a Reiki Master and as I;ve always been interested in Reiki I asked her to teach me how to do it. So over the weekend I was attuned to levels l and ll.

Then out of curiosity I did a search on this forum for 'Reiki' and found that peole think that Reiki and Vipassana shouldn't be practiced together and this concerns me. If I had to choose I would definitely choose meditation but I'm interested in knowing why people think Reiki and Meditation don't complement each other as Reiki is described as a completelt harmless practice that only does good.

Does anyone have experience of these things or could tell me if practicing Reiki could hinder my meditation. I have no real desire to become a practicioner but for the next 21 days I'm supposed to practice on myself and then I would like to practice on the odd person but not to do it as a job.

Any advice?  :)

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
Re: Vipassana and Reiki
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »

It's like a pool: you cannot have a blank surface while making a splash.

It's like a mountain: you have to decide wether you climb it on your own or let yourself be carried up to the summit by helicopter.

Do you want to be attuned or do you want to tune yourself?

just a few thoughts ...  ;)

anicca

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Content.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 08:01:56 PM »
I had a friend who was attuned to level II Reiki. He died two years ago from alcoholism and sclerosis of the liver. Had he followed the Buddhist path beyond the intellectual interest he had in it then perhaps he'd still be here.

From Wikipedia:

"The concept of ki underlying Reiki is speculative and there is no scientific evidence that it exists; a 2008 systematic review of randomised clinical trials concluded that "the evidence is insufficient to suggest that reiki is an effective treatment for any condition. Therefore the value of reiki remains unproven."[4] The American Cancer Society[5] and the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine[6] have also found that there is no clinical or scientific evidence supporting claims that Reiki is effective in the treatment of any illness."

I will make a supposition: Reiki was developed as a furtherance of metta meditations, an attempt to "bring into the real world". Problem is with metta meditations you do not in any way change the other person(s) reality or affect their suffering, except through the changes in you that the meditations bring about.

Many labour under the misconception that metta meditations have some magic even long distance ability to change reality for another (bit like Reiki?), but they don't - they are mind training practices to induce your mind into bearing the qualities of compassion, altruistic joy, equanimity and loving kindness. This change in you is what changes the world for those you encounter.

Kind regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Blue

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:46:09 AM »
The warnings about mixing reiki and insight meditation have come from a few cases where people have gotten themselves into really bad situations by practicing both. 

The fundamental ideas of both are different.  Reiki is learning to control good energy, whereas Insight meditation is about accepting both good and bad energy. 

Stick with your meditation.  As you progress your body and mind will naturally start to do good things with energy.  Amazing energy-type things happen around highly enlightened people.