Author Topic: Us silly westerners  (Read 2215 times)

Alexanderjohn

Us silly westerners
« on: May 18, 2012, 05:56:55 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=386779078039887&id=129435380440926

Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse calls on Westerners to acknowledge the distortions we may bring to the study of Buddhism—through our cultural arrogance, the deceit of ego, and simple ignorance. The successful transplant of such a subtle and challenging practice as Buddhism, he says, depends on thorough study and clear recognition of our habitual patterns.

Transplanting anything from a foreign culture is a difficult process which may corrupt what is being imported. Buddhism is certainly no exception; in fact, among imported foreign goods, dharma is perhaps the most prone to corruption.

Initially, to understand dharma even on an intellectual level is not at all simple. Then once we have some understanding, to put dharma into practice is even more subtle, because it requires that we go beyond our habitual patterns. Intellectually, we may recognize how our narrow-minded habits have brought about our own cycle of suffering, but at the same time we may also be afraid to engage wholeheartedly in the process of liberating these habits of ours.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Re: Us silly westerners
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
'Replicating asian buddhism' seems to be a poor practice goal to me. Subtle the dhamma is, asian it is not, anymore than the sun being aussie because it shines here before to gets to india.
getting it done

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
As true as this may be .... it is pertinent to ask if he has dropped the many corruptions of Buddhism that came from it's introduction to Tibet?
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

I am not at all interested in adopting Buddhism Culture or understanding Buddhism in an intellectual way.

... anymore than the sun being aussie because it shines here before to gets to india.

... does the sunshine in India bring distortions to the sunshine in Australia?

... it is pertinent to ask if he has dropped the many corruptions of Buddhism that came from it's introduction to Tibet?

... or any other asian region, culture and time?  ;)

Simply practicing the technique will do, for anyone.
anicca