Author Topic: Peace Pilgrim  (Read 2059 times)

Masauwu

• chipping away
Peace Pilgrim
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:16 PM »
Peace Pilgrim was an inspiring woman who walked for peace for 28 years. Her only possessions were basically the clothes on her back; she had no organizational backing, no money, and would not even ask for food or shelter, just accepting them when they were offered freely. Her vow was to "remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food." Linked below it`s a documentary about her called "Peace Pilgrim: An American Sage Who Walked Her Talk" worth taking a look.

Peace Pilgrim: An American Sage who Walked Her Talk

There was a time - when I attained inner peace - when I died, utterly died to myself. I have since renounced my previous identity. I can see not reason to dwell upon my past, it is dead and should not be resurrected. Don't inquire of me - ask me about my message. It is not important to remember the messenger, just remember the message.
[...]
This is the way of peace: overcome evil with good, and falsehood with truth, and hatred with love."
(Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Works in Her Own Words)
More information including a book with her own words on http://www.peacepilgrim.org/ .

Edited:// added 2 of her video recorded talks, found them very insightful; even without having contact with or mentioning any known spiritual paths in the words she used, her talks resonate with the dhamma and even touch on things we addressed on this forum.

Peace Pilgrim Speaking to a College Class

Peace Pilgrim Speaking to a College Class #2
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 09:31:12 PM by Masauwu »
The summer river:
although there is a bridge, my horse
goes through the water.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Peace Pilgrim
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:58:29 PM »
Good find.

Edited:// added 2 of her video recorded talks, found them very insightful; even without having contact with or mentioning any known spiritual paths in the words she used, her talks resonate with the dhamma and even touch on things we addressed on this forum.

"What was true in the time of the Buddha was true in the time of Christ and will forever be true". This is the Dhamma and the nature of the Dhamma. She clearly learned a lot about reality through her own investigations of "self".
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~