Author Topic: Problem while meditating  (Read 2359 times)

sandip250382

Problem while meditating
« on: April 30, 2008, 03:48:23 PM »
Well, I have started Vipasana Meditation for a week. I am trying to feel light sensation of air between my nose and upper lips; in this way I am watching my breath. But I am feeling a bit of breathless and suffocation. Also thoughts (watching my breath thought) seem to conquer my mind. Any advice to sort out these problems. Thanks in advance. Waiting for all of your replies, buddies. Take care.

Paul

Re: Problem while meditating
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 04:20:12 PM »
Sandip, I think you are maybe trying too hard.  Can you feel your breath easier in your nostrils, or even in the diapraghm movements?  Trying too hard to find your breath could easily lead to this feeling as by doing so you are preventing it from happening naturally.

Don't worry about the thoughts.  Just see them the let them go.  Just remember every time you go back to the breath and let the thoughts go is a step towards reaching calm.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 04:36:25 PM »
Sandip

I think Paul is spot on here. Relax into meditation without letting your mind fall asleep. It's a bit like walking a tightrope - only you can't fall off.

Another place to focus attention as a beginner meditating is on the rise and fall of the belly. Just the sensation of the belly rising as you inhale and falling as you exhale. When thoughts arise, just notice them and let go, try not to follow the usual train of thoughts, example: "I'm hungry. I wonder what is in the fridge. Oh I need some cheese. etc etc etc". Here after the first thought "I am hungry",  one notices the thought and can label the thought but then place attention back on the breath.

It takes quite a long time for some people to establish a base of calmness in meditation, depending on the previous experiences you have had, your state of mind and the worldly affairs in which you are engaged. So be patient with yourself, keep at it and be aware not to be hyper-critical of your efforts.

We are all beginners, every moment, when we finally get somewhere, we discover we were there anyway but just hadn't noticed before.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

sandip250382

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:25:29 AM »
Sandip

I think Paul is spot on here. Relax into meditation without letting your mind fall asleep. It's a bit like walking a tightrope - only you can't fall off.

Another place to focus attention as a beginner meditating is on the rise and fall of the belly. Just the sensation of the belly rising as you inhale and falling as you exhale. When thoughts arise, just notice them and let go, try not to follow the usual train of thoughts, example: "I'm hungry. I wonder what is in the fridge. Oh I need some cheese. etc etc etc". Here after the first thought "I am hungry",  one notices the thought and can label the thought but then place attention back on the breath.

It takes quite a long time for some people to establish a base of calmness in meditation, depending on the previous experiences you have had, your state of mind and the worldly affairs in which you are engaged. So be patient with yourself, keep at it and be aware not to be hyper-critical of your efforts.

We are all beginners, every moment, when we finally get somewhere, we discover we were there anyway but just hadn't noticed before.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

Well Admin you suggested me to follow the thoughts, but this very idea of "following thoughts" is a thought itself and I am involving in that. How i can overcome this? Waiting for your reply. God bless u all.

Flipasso

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »
If I'm not mistaken TIB advised you not to follow the thoughts.
Follow the breath.
As soon as you notice you're not actually following the breath but that you're thinking about something, return to the breath.
This exercise is very simple but hard to do. It increases concentration. The basic skill you need to have to latter observe whatever is going on.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
If I'm not mistaken TIB advised you not to follow the thoughts.
Follow the breath.
As soon as you notice you're not actually following the breath but that you're thinking about something, return to the breath.
This exercise is very simple but hard to do. It increases concentration. The basic skill you need to have to latter observe whatever is going on.

You are not mistaken.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~