Author Topic: WHere to focus eyes?  (Read 1995 times)

yangster85

WHere to focus eyes?
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
When i am meditating with eyes closed, where am i suppose to focus my eyes? I've noticed that when i relax them, i tend to get sleepy and drowsy. However, when i try to focus on a point in the dark, i feel a lo more energetic and aware. But when i do that, my eyes get crossed and its very uncomfortable. How should my eyes be when i meditate (eyes closed)?

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
Re: WHere to focus eyes?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
Hi yangster85,

A few things to perhaps try;

1)leave the light on and keep your eyes open. I've found that the best way to stay honest.

2) A material object to watch can also help until you have calmed down (after 10 mins switch back to the breath or sensations). Lately i've been using a rock I picked up at my one and only formal retreat. This is traditionally called 'kasina' practice. If it starts to morph or get visual distortions, enjoy them, but gently bring you attention back to the kasina, this will strengthen your concentration and also keep you honest.

I have found that with my eyes closed I don't notice when the mind starts wandering around and start making stuff up, so i get lost, eyes open I can feel what is there in the bodymind and quickly (and as always gently) bring the attention back to the meditation when drowsiness sets in..

3) prefer stillness over movement and gentleness over effort. Movement and effort  are still sometimes needed, adjusting posture etc but always be gentle and move slowly. If you feel like looking around, do it slowly and with stillness, like the world is in slow motion.

Keep in mind that practice on the cushion is all about building your ability to calmly notice things (called by many names, equanimity being one of them). That doesn't happen if you think it is to achieve some altered state. The most important 'state' is the one you live all day long, so use time on the cushion to notice and learn to calmly face the stress you normally are distracted from clearly seeing.

Just some thoughts, not instructions, ignore whatever feels wrong at this time, words are just fleeting things we share, what we are discussing will have it's own unique expression in your practice, so experiment but always knowing that the day ahead is where the real work is done, so keep it useful to the goal of ending stress.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:40:43 AM by Andrew »
getting it done

Billymac629

• Bill
  • Everything rises and everything falls away
    • Breath and Satipatthana
    • mindfully observing
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:06:44 AM »
You might also try just staring at a blank wall alla zen zazen...  Just a thought
Metta
Nothing in this world is to be clung to as I, me, or mine...

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:56:32 AM »
Krishnamurti and also my Vipassana teacher advise that the eyes are lightly closed and reading in their neutral position, straight out,all muscles at rest. And secondly, the eyes should not move at all during meditation. Like the body, they should be completely still.
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
..the eyes should not move at all during meditation.
Seconded. Search for "eye-accessing cues" and we would know of the role played by eyes in accessing information from the brain. All that are distractions to meditation.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »
When i am meditating with eyes closed, where am i suppose to focus my eyes? I've noticed that when i relax them, i tend to get sleepy and drowsy. However, when i try to focus on a point in the dark, i feel a lo more energetic and aware. But when i do that, my eyes get crossed and its very uncomfortable. How should my eyes be when i meditate (eyes closed)?

If relaxed gently without effort eyes will partially close. Focussed loosely on the floor about 3 - 5 feet in front of you (1 - 1.5M) with a straight spine and awareness of breathing at the fore you will find mindfulness.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~