Author Topic: Info needed Urgently  (Read 2327 times)

sandip250382

Info needed Urgently
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:14:54 AM »
Well, this is sandip from India. I have a great interest to learn Vipasana meditation but frankly speaking it was almost impossible to attend 10 days residential courses coz my parents are very ill and I am their only son. Under this circumstances, I am getting confused how to learn it? Any advice will be great for me. Thanks in advance.
Cya, buddies
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 01:14:32 PM by sandip250382 »

Green Tara

• Life is just a bowl of cherries
Re: Info needed Urgently
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 08:51:47 AM »
Hi Sandip,
There is a book called Beyond the Breath by Mark Glickman.
It is the only book I have found so far that describes
Goenka’s methods in details.
if you can't buy the book, PM or email me and I will let you know how to get it.
tara
"Samsaric beings! Cling not to worldly pleasures.  Enter the great city of liberation”

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:34:31 PM »
Hi Sandip,

Welcome to the forum. Have you read this page?: http://vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,34.0.html It is an introduction to meditation and will give you some good information and a place to start. The best way to learn to meditate is to do it a lot and remember you are not chasing any particular experience - you are growing your ability to be aware and you are reinforcing your ability to be calm. Calmness and awareness are the keys to changing your life through meditation.

You could also find out if there is a Buddhist Temple or Vihara near you and go and see the monks and ask them for help with your meditation. Most yellow robed monks are very well practiced in Vipassana and can help you along the path.

Above all do not be afraid to ask questions. That is what this site is for.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:27:32 AM »
IMHO, the best book I've read so far about meditation (specially Vipassana type) is without any doubt The essencials of Insight Meditation Practice by ven. Sujiva (Mahasi Sayadaw's disciple).
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/essentials.pdf
You can get it for free at this adress, and you need only print it to make it a book.
It explains very well how to practice vipassana although it advises people who had breakdowns to go for a teacher. (And that's what I'm doing)

hope this helps

happiness@you.all