Author Topic: Trekking the Annapurna and meditation  (Read 9452 times)

Lokuttara

• Trekking the hills of dhamma
    • Vipassanamurti
    • Love cycling into the blue skies and enjoying the first touches of Spring!
Trekking the Annapurna and meditation
« on: March 05, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I'm hoping to do the beautiful Annapurna circuit in Nepal in May, combining trekking with daily meditation sessions in the mountains. The energy in those places is very powerful, it's like the mountains are the best teachers you will ever find!

Anyone want to come along? :)
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
    • Looking for answers and trying to loose weight
Re: Trekking the Annapurna and meditation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »
Sounds great, I would love to attend, if I were available. How did you organise that trip?
Meditation makes me angry...

Alexanderjohn

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 01:34:55 AM »
I will deeply consider this. This is something I really really want to do. Stay in touch and I will look into the logistics. I will be in France through April I just need to check routes for getting to Nepal. Where do you live Lokuttara?

Lokuttara

• Vipassanamurti
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
I'm in Ireland. I checked flights from London to Nepal at the end of April and it's £480 or so. Not so bad!
"One may be surrounded by great beauty, by mountains and fields and rivers, but unless one is alive to it all one might just as well be dead." Krishnamurti

Gadfly

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
Sounds amazing! BTW, I live in Ireland too.  :)

rob

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
I'd consider this as well, since I almost did it last year. However, I believe it's a 14-day trek minimum and getting that kind of time (plus travel time) off work is difficult for me.

frepie

• Goenka and personnal
    • Looking for answers and trying to loose weight
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »
By the way, trekking and meditation doesn't need to be done in Nepal. I am sure Ireland has some inspiring landscapes too. Or do the Compostelle route. It is of Christian tradition but I don't think it really matters.
Meditation makes me angry...

Alexanderjohn

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
By the end of April I will be in France or Holland, it is easy to get back to London from there so the flight is a possibility. I can't give you a yes for a little while though because my plans are very up in the air. If I decide to take this trip I'll probably look for a teaching gig in Nepal for the rest of the year so that's a fairly big decision to make, I'll need a couple of weeks. How long do You plan to go for Lokuttara?

A

Lokuttara

• Vipassanamurti
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »
Cool Gadfly, what part are you in?

Yes, it's looking like I'll be going on the 19th or so, and coming back on the 2nd of June.

By the way, trekking and meditation doesn't need to be done in Nepal. I am sure Ireland has some inspiring landscapes too. Or do the Compostelle route. It is of Christian tradition but I don't think it really matters.

It's true, there are fantastic places in Europe and a friend of mine is currently meditating intensively in the Pyrennese! But at the same time, there is something very special about the Himalayas, it's hard to explain. But the beauty there really takes your breath away, and there is something about the simplicity of life there also, and the high concentration of spiritual teachings coming from these places.

It would also be nice to do a day trip to Lumbini to meditate where the Buddha was born.

thomas

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »
I'm in Ireland. I checked flights from London to Nepal at the end of April and it's £480 or so. Not so bad!

If time isn't an issue, it might be cheaper to fly to Kolkatta and take trains and buses through the mountains.

In the end probably end up a similar price, taking in to account the extra days of food and travel, but you get to see everything in between Calcutta and Nepal.. which is a lot.
back to the breath... and back to the breath....  and back to the breath.... and back to the breath..... and back to the breath

Lokuttara

• Vipassanamurti
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
Sounds really nice, but I only have 5 weeks and I don't have an India visa. But maybe next time :)

Could be spending up to 3 weeks in the mountains and also hoping to do some yoga and maybe visit the Vipassana centre in Pokhara.

Lokuttara

• Vipassanamurti
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 05:52:39 PM »
Have posted the rough itenerary on Loneplanet forums for anyone interested in coming along:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2178791

I am in no rush on this trek, so I think time could be spent meditating in some of the temples along the way, and we could also visit the Vipassana centre in Lumbini afterwards, the birthplace of Buddha!

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »

I'm hoping to do the beautiful Annapurna circuit in Nepal in May

oooooh! I've been there, and I will never forget it.

I'd come along instantly if I had the spare time ...

Enjoy! (You will.)
anicca

Lokuttara

• Vipassanamurti
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »

I'm hoping to do the beautiful Annapurna circuit in Nepal in May

oooooh! I've been there, and I will never forget it.

I'd come along instantly if I had the spare time ...

Enjoy! (You will.)

Thanks mate, really looking forward to it! Currently trying to do a self-organised group using the net.

trekerka

• Write something about yourself here
    • freedom
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
Hi!

Lokuttara, how was your trek?

The idea is great! I also want to go walk Annapurna Circuit and combine it with some meditation.

The plan is to start from Kathmandu on November 5th and be back in Kathmandu on November 16th (finish the trek in Jomson and fly/drive from there to Podhkara).

Is anybody interested in joining?

Greetings