Author Topic: meditation and bliss  (Read 3763 times)

teacher

meditation and bliss
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Bliss -- Bliss can be a state of profound satisfaction, happiness and joy, a constant state of mind, undisturbed by gain or loss ----source wikipedia

During my initial days of mental shocks better known as maniac episodes ::) ,i remember i experienced this state of bliss :D sometimes .It was absolutely similar to the definition given above.In fact most of the material on internet relate  meditation and bliss in that through meditation one can achieve bliss.
I have been doing mindfulness  for about 2 months and can surely say that i have got lot's of peace of mind but no bliss

i am a novice in meditation  :-X so my question is for experts who are doing meditation for like more then 2 -3 years .

Is one can really achieve a state of bliss through meditation ?

peace and bliss are two different things that is for sure ....although i am not in a want of bliss now but seriously i loved those states as  want for  these got me into meditation.

ankur 

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
Re: meditation and bliss
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 06:17:44 PM »
ankur,

Yes - bliss states (Pali: Jhana) can be achieved and they are a great aid on the path.

When you say you have been "doing mindfulness" what do you mean exactly?

Kind regards,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

teacher

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16:04 AM »
ankur,

Yes - bliss states (Pali: Jhana) can be achieved and they are a great aid on the path.

many many thanks for your reply. It gives a great motivation to stay on the path for beginners like me.

I know craving for something is "bad" so i am not in a want of these states right now .May be some time later i will achieve them from my continuous and regular  practice

When you say you have been "doing mindfulness" what do you mean exactly?

It is just watchfulness .During the day when i am awake i watch my mind activity without involving me.I pretend to be a child who is just watching innocently what is happening in his mind without involving himself (judgements ,decisions etc etc ). In the starting there were many many thoughts and now they are mostly gone.It is similar to vipasana.Its just like i don't have to take a particular position like sitting.
i call it mindfulness . if i am wrong sorry .I read about it on the internet and the book "the power of now" from echkert .   

comments are welcome

ankur

Alexanderjohn

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
When used mindfully and skillfully, desire is a part of the path, especially in the beginning. It is a case of using desire to sit to see what this very desire is doing. Desire has been running us our whole lives, we have to learn to ride it out like a wave but mindfully, without falling off and standing up without fear. Don't reject it.

teacher

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
When used mindfully and skillfully, desire is a part of the path, especially in the beginning. It is a case of using desire to sit to see what this very desire is doing. Desire has been running us our whole lives, we have to learn to ride it out like a wave but mindfully, without falling off and standing up without fear. Don't reject it.

Today when i was doing my regular vipassana meditation sitting , i realized this thing .My mind was silent but then i suddenly thought that despite of stilling my mind ,what is this thing in me which is taking me on the path.

thanks for pointing it out .I was always confused if this is not another mind game.

Andrew

• friends tell me things, sometimes I listen.
    • Letting Go.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
I pretend to be a child who is just watching innocently what is happening in his mind without involving himself

One of the best mindfulness descriptions I've read.
getting it done

teacher

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 04:16:40 PM »
One of the best mindfulness descriptions I've read.

Truly speaking it is not my creativity. :angel:I read it somewhere while on the path.But still i can accept the credit if you want to say thanks  8).

But really i use  a lot an example of child to explain the state of unconditioned and silent mind.At the very early age mind only knows how to run internal body functions untouched by the outside world .Just pure awareness.

comments are welcome

ankur